Reverting to Maiden Name
Regardless if you are changing your name from either divorce or separation, the process is very much the same.
Name Change from divorce
Your divorce is approved by the court and you are issued with a Divorce Order. All organisations accept this as evidence of your prior name. If you need a replacement Divorce Order you can obtain one from the Family Law Courts.
Reverting to maiden name
When you took your husband's name after marriage chances are you didn't legally change your name. Most likely you showed your marriage certificate as evidence of your new name. This means you assumed your husband's name, and you are still entitled to be known by your prior name regardless of your marital status.
What documents do you need?
All organisations accept a divorce certificate and will adjust your records accordingly.
If your divorce is not yet finalised you are still entitled to be known by your prior name, providing you didn't lodge a legal name change application after marriage (this is usually only done by women getting married overseas). You just need to prove the link between your married and prior name. Where your history of names is straight foward you can simply show your full marriage certificate and birth certificate as this proves the link between your maiden and married names.
Where you have been known by your birth name, your married name and one or more other names you need to show the link between all these names. Documents from any Births, Deaths and Marriages will be acceptable providing it shows a clear link between all your names. If you have legally changed names, you are unable to assume use of a name you held prior to that change. In such a circumstance you may need to consider a legal name change.
Getting your documents
Organisations, particularly financial institutions and government agencies, need to see documents from Births, Deaths and Marriages, or the case of divorce, a Divorce Order issued by the court. If you don't have your Marriage or Birth Certificate you can download the application form as part of your Easy Name Change kit.
The Easy Name Change guide, free with all Name Change kits, provides more information on how to get your certificate.
If you're reverting to a prior name without being divorced, then get your passport and drivers licence changed into your prior name first. Use this as proof of your changed name with other companies.
If any organisations refuse your name change you can close and reopen your account, or do business elsewhere.
How do I notify organisations of my new name?
Once you've made the decision to revert to a prior name you need to notify all organisations where you hold an account, membership or identification.
Easy Name Change takes the hassle out of doing all the research and writing name change letters and faxes for each organisation. Our personalised name change kits create all your name change notifications in your name and with all your name change information. We even provide you with any special name change forms your organisations may have. In most cases all you need to do is add supporting documents where indicated, sign and send.
Change Your Name The Easy Way™
Whatever your reason for changing name Easy Name Change kits can help. We take the guess work out of knowing what to do next. Our customers can save about 4 hours of research and access hard to find information about name change. Don't delay - you can be on your way to changing your name in just 5 minutes.
- Choose Your Kit
- Printed & posted Receive all your name change documents by mail; letters, faxes forms, personalised checklist and the Easy Name Change Guide. We'll also include all the matching envelopes you'll need.
- Sent by email
- Easy Name Change Guide Our name change guide steps you though the process and explains the law. You won't be left guessing about anything!
- Government forms Forms for changing your name with SSA, getting your wedding certificate and more!
- 500+ companies We've researched the name change procedure for over 500 Australia organisations. Find out exactly what you need to do with each company, and receive any corresponding name change paprerwork.
- Personalised checklist
- Ready to send letters Letters are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and post!
- Ready to send faxes Faxes are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and fax!
- Company forms
- Money back guarantee Not happy for any reason? Expect a full refund within 30 days.