Passport Name Change

Passport Name Change

Passport Name Change

It's free to update your passport for any name change resulting from a change in relationship provided you can meet certain criteria. The name you take must be a standard relationship name change, such as swapping your surname with your spouse's surname, or add their surname to your own. You must have a divorce order, a BDM marriage certificate or BDM relationship certificate. If you were married abroad you will also need to provide your foreign marriage certificate with an approved translation if applicable. 

Your passport will be updated with your new name, however the expiry date will remain as per your existing passport. If you have legally changed names, are reverting to your maiden name without divorce or have less than 2 years validity remaining you must apply for a 10 year replacement passport and full fees are payable.

Free service – keeping current expiry date

This is only available if you can show the necessary combination of documents listed above and if you have taken a standard name change allowed by married (eg: you have not also changed your first or middle names). Your passport expiry date will remain unchanged. Applications must be written on an original passport application form, which can be obtained at any Post Office. You can instead begin your application online then save or print once you have entered sufficient  information. All applicants will also need to lodge their application at the post office. Interview times can be arranged by calling 131 232.

Renewing your passport for another 10 years

Pay the replacement fee and renew your passport for another 10 years by completing the application online. Always check online for the latest fees.  If you prefer you can pick up a passport application form at a post office.  You will also need to have a brief passport interview regardless if you choose to enter your details online or on a paper copy.

If you are legally changing your name you will need to renew your passport.  The full fee is payable and no concessions are given for validity of your prior passport. Fill out your passport application at

Got a whole lot of other companies to notify?

If you're changing names, chances are you have 15-20 other companies to notify. Let us provide you with everything you need; company specific name change forms, ready to send letters, emails and faxes and comprehensive name change procedures for hundreds of Australian organisations. We also provide our name change guide which steps you through the process and a personalised checklist. We can even print it all and deliver to your door. 


It’s free to update your passport provided you can show a BDM marriage or relationship certificate. If married abroad you will need a BDM legal name change certificate plus your foreign marriage certificate with an approved translation if applicable.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save hours, or your money back!
  • BDM Certificates
  • Driver License
  • ATO
  • Over 50 listings!
And More!
  • 13 company categories
  • Ready to send letters
  • Company name change forms
  • Just sign & send!