Reverting To Your Birth Name

Reverting To Your Birth Name

Reverting To Your Birth Name

If you've changed names from marriage and now want to go back to your former name the process is quite simple. Resume use of your former name without any special steps and no matter what your personal situation! You're not required to give a reason.


What paperwork will I need?

You simply need to prove the link between your married and prior name. Generally speaking, you should show proof of your birth or iniital name in Canada, such as your Candian birth or citizenship certificate. You also need to show proof of your married name, so you can show your Canadian marriage certificate or court issued divorce order. Foreign marriage certificates are accepted if you were married abroad. 

If you have been married more than once you may need to show multiple marriage and divorce certificates to prove the link between all prior names. All documents should be issued by a government body such as Vital Statistics, a court or foreign government body. If you have lost Canadian marriage or birth certificates apply for a replacement at your provincial Vital Statistics office.

What challenges might I encounter?

If your birth certificate has been changed to your married name, or if you became a citizen in your married name you can't go back to former name. You should instead file a legal name change application in the province where you reside.

Some organisations may ask for a divorce certificate as this makes the task of proving your name easier. We always recommend you challenge this advice as by law you are entitled to be known by your maiden name without being divorced.

You shouldn't encounter any issues when updating your drivers licence and health care card, so do this first. You can then present your updated government issued photo ID together with your birth and marriage certificate and you will encounter less resistance.

How do I update ID and accounts?

Once you have the necessary certificates, click below to get all the name change procedures for virtually all the organizations where you need to change names. We'll provide clear filing instructions plus ready to send emails, letters, faxes and special company name change forms. 

If you've changed names on marriage and now want to go back to your former name, the process is simple and you can start using that name now. You don't need to be divorced, separated or provide any reason. You only need your birth and marriage certificates. 

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee