Driving Licence and Motor Vehicle Name Change

Driving Licence and Motor Vehicle Name Change

Driving Licence and Motor Vehicle Name Change

Update your driver's license in person

Updating your driver’s licence should be done in person. All provinces have multiple locations where you can have your request processed. Always take your original marriage certificate, name change certificate or combination of documents to prove your name change in addition to your current drivers licence. If you cannot find your current licence you should take 2 other forms of ID, but always check with the driver licensing authority first as exact identity requirements vary between provinces. You can also have your motor vehicle registration updated at the same time.

The exact name change procedure varies between provinces. Some provinces allow you to change your driver licence at the same time as your health card. Click the button below to get the the process your province.


What married name can you take?

You can swap your surname for your spouse's. All provinces except BC allow a double barrelled surname on presentation of your marriage certificate. The names can appear in either order and can be separated by a space or hyphen.

BC residents will need a legal name change if they want to add their spouse's suname to their own.


Need to change names anywhere else?

Always start by changing your driver's license and other government records. Prioritize your provincial health care card, SIN card and Canadian Revenue Authority. We can provide the procedures, along with any special forms, below. Select any other organizations to receive name change procedures plus company specific forms and ready to send letters and faxes.



Driver and motor vehicle licences are administered by each province.  Make this one of the first documents you update as it can be used as evidence of your new name with other organizations.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee