How to Change Names By Deed Poll

How to Change Names By Deed Poll

How to Change Names By Deed Poll

While there are a range of legal name change options, online deed polls are simple, legally compliant and by far the most affordable way to ensure your new name takes effect. But did you know you can also change names with a solicitor or just start using a new name without following any special process?

How to change names

When changing your name for reasons other than adding or removing your spouse's surname, you have a number of options:

1) Deed Poll. This is by far the easiest and most affordable way to ensure your ID and accounts is changed in your new name. There is no central register for deed polls, so take your time and chose a reputable company. Check if they can provide duplicates when required. Consider getting several additional certified copies and storing one safely in a second location. This process is best if you want the name changed on your passport, driver's license and bank accounts. We recommend, as their deed polls are universally accepted and unbeatable value.


2) A letter from a solicitor or reasonable person. This is one of the lesser known methods to changing names. You can simply start using a new name. Where you are asked for evidence of your new name you can produce a letter from a reasonable person, such as a policeman, headmaster or doctor. It is at the discretion of each organisation who holds your records and accounts if they decide to change your name over. In time you may have many accounts under your preferred name, however some organisations may refuse to change the name on your account, particuarly financial institutions. If you want all your records changed as easily and qucikly as possible, then a deed poll is the better option.

3) Name change by association.  Notify family, friends and colleagues of your new name and start using it immediately. Your name change will have taken effect by reputation in the community and you can use your new name without taking any formal steps. A common example of this is where 'Robert' is always called 'Bob'. Organisations such as the passports office and banks will not issue official documentation under your new name as it becomes difficult to prove account ownership if people can change names this easily. Your birth name remains on most legal documents, however can be known by your new name in the community.  (cont...)


Who can apply for a Deed Poll?

Any UK citizen aged 16 years and over can apply for a name change via deed poll. It is illegal to change your name if you are doing so to defraud or deceive anyone. There are special circumstances for those who are bankrupt, have a criminal record and for foreign nationals. If you fall into one of these groups we advise you ask the issuer of your deed poll for further information.

Where do I get a Deed Poll?

Online deed poll companies tend to be more cost effective than a traditional solicitor. They offer cost effective deed polls as they have streamlined the legal process in house. We recommend as they provide hand drafted, legally compliant deeds for only £12, which is a fraction of the price of other online deed poll services. Alternativley, approach any solicitor who can draft a deed poll which should be universally accepted by all UK organisations. Note, the price for your solicitor to draft a deed poll may be significantly more expensive as they do not specialsie in the area and will need to hand draft a one off document for you.

How do I update my records?

Once you have your deed poll in hand, it's essential to have all your accounts, memberships and records updated in your new name. Companies have a range of name change procedures; you may need to visit a branch, send in a form, letter or email, or call. Easy Name Change can take care of this for you. We provide ready to send letters, forms and emails for all your chosen companies along with full lodgment information. Best of all, you'll save 8 hours of research, waiting on hold and paperwork.


You'll need a deed poll for all name changes other than taking or removing your spouse's surname. Once approved, you must immediately notify all organisations of your new name. We help you do this quickly.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
Government agencies
  • Passport
  • Driver license
  • Voter registration
  • HMRC and more!
12 additional categories
  • Banks & credit cards
  • Health, home, car insurances
  • Loyalty programs
  • Utilities and more!