How do I change names?
Need to know who to notify after changing names? Download our free name change checklist as a Word document so it's easy to edit and keep track of your notes. When changing names be prepared to spend hours on hold to check procedures and write letters.
Priority name changes
- Marriage certificate from your local registrar (fees apply). We explain what documents needed if changing names by deed poll or reverting to your maiden name.
- Driving license can be updated by mail. Pick up a D1 'Application for a driving license' form at most post offices.
- Bank accounts and cards. Most banks with large branch networks need your original proof of name change in person at a branch. Contact smaller banks directly to learn their procedures.
- HMRC can be done online. You'll need about 25 minutes and some reference numbers (ie: National Insurance, PAYE or tax payer reference numbers) before starting the process.
- Your employer. Speak with HR, your boss, IT or your office manager. You may need your email address, directory listings and business cards updated.
Other name changes
- Passport. Brides can get this done before their wedding. All applicants can collect a form at most post offices and must apply for a new 10 year passport.
- Car registration. Complete section 6 of your V5C Registration Certificate and return.
- Electoral roll. Apply at your local electorate office. Some areas allow name change by mail.
- Local council. For council tax. Call your local council office to learn the procedure.
- Utilities (gas, electricity, water)
- Communications (home phone, mobile, internet, pay TV)
- Finance. Mortgage, credit and store cards, building societies, investment accounts
- Insurance (home, contents, auto, health, life)
- Memberships (frequent flyers, loyalty, shopping, professional, sports, alumni)
- Health (doctor, dentist, specialists)
- Property titles (not essential for marriage or reverting to maiden name)
- Online (Facebook, Ebay, PayPal, LinkedIn)
- Professionals (accountant, solicitor)
- Other (subscriptions, real estate office, etc)
- Update your will
Want us to take care of the paperwork?
Can't be bothered spending hours on hold? We'll tell you the name change process for all of your companies. Need to send a letter or fax? We'll write it for you, just sign and send. Need that company's name change form? We provide that too. Start building your interactive name change checklist, complete with procedures and paperwork for all your companies.
- Choose Your Kit
- Printed & posted Receive all your name change documents by mail; letters, faxes forms, personalised checklist and the Easy Name Change Guide. We'll also include all the matching envelopes you'll need.
- Sent by email
- Easy Name Change Guide Our name change guide steps you though the process and explains the law. You won't be left guessing about anything!
- Government name changes Get all the procedures and any forms for changing names with HMRC, driving licence, passport, vehicle title, land titles, TV license and more!
- 350+ companies We've got fully researched name change procedures for over 350 UK organisations. Find out how to change names with all your companies and receive any corresponding paperwork.
- Personalised checklist
- Ready to send letters Letters are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and post!
- Ready to send faxes Faxes are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and fax!
- Company forms
- Money back guarantee Not happy for any reason? Expect a full refund within 30 days.