Get all the paperwork you'll need for an easy name change.

All the Name Change Forms, Letters & Information you need in just 15 minutes

Marriage name change options
Get your marriage name change
Apply for your divorce name change
Get your divorce name change
Apply for your legal name change
Get your legal name change
name change questions & answers
Get your name change information

Marriage Name Change

  • Name Change After Marriage

    All you need is your marriage certificate. Some places must be updated in person, we provide paperwork and procedures for all the others.

  • Social Security Marriage Name Change

    Here's how to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) once married. Download and file the SSA name change form for free.

  • Free Name Change Checklist

    Got a stack of places to change names and don't know where to start? Our comprehensive checklists means you won't miss anyone!

  • Marriage Name Change for Non Citizens

    If you have the legal right to permanently reside in the USA, you may change names here too.

  • Marriage Name Change Options

    It’s not always as black and white as my surname or his surname. You have a few more options.

  • Maiden to Middle Name

    It is possible to keep your maiden name as a middle name, but you should be aware of your state’s law first.

  • Marriage Name Change in Passport

    There's different forms to use depending when your passport was issued. Follow the links to download the form you need.

  • Get your marriage certificate

    Religious or government certificates are both accepted when changing names. We explain how order your marriage certificate and request extra copies.

  • Changing Name When Married Overseas

    You can still change names if married abroad. While not everyone accepts a foreign marriage certificate, there is usually a way around it.  


Divorce Name Change

  • What documents do I need?

    Having a cort issued name change order is the simplest way to change names. It's still possible to change names without this, but the process can be more tricky.

  • Divorce Name Change - Passport

    Once your divorce order is granted by the court, you’re free to change names everywhere. Updating government photo ID, such as your passport, helps.

  • Separation Name Change

    Unlike marriage name change, reverting to your former name without being divorced can be complicated.

  • Name Change After Divorce

    If you’ve divorced then you have all the documents needed to start changing names, you can get your paperwork sorted in just minutes.

  • Social Security name change from divorce

    The SSA allows you to revert to your prior name after divorce. If you don't have an order restoring your former name other documents can be shown in its place. Always prioritize changing names with the SSA.


Legal Name Change

  • Name Change for Non Citizens

    If you’re legally entitled to reside in the USA you can change your name legally. We explain how.

  • Filing Name Change with Companies

    Once you have a court document, you must contact all the necessary companies to get your accounts and identification updated.

  • Legal Name Change Cost

    Legal name change orders are managed at a state level. Turnaround times and filing fees vary significantly.

  • Resources

    If you’ve decided to lodge a legal name change application with the court, we’ve got some information to help you along the way.

  • How to Legally Change Names

    You can be known by any name, but to get identification and records changed you need a court order.

  • Changing a Child's Name

    This process is managed by your county court. We provide general information to get started on your child’s name change, but it's always best to contact your local court directly.


Name Change Information

  • PayPal Name Change

    You can change names online once logged in. Significant changes will require a proof document to be uploaded.

  • Passport Name Change

    There’s a number of different forms, so be sure to complete the correct one based on your name change situation.

  • IRS Name Change

    IRS don’t need to be notified of name changes as records are pulled from the SSA. However there are some other considerations.

  • Voter Registration Name Change

    Voter records are centralized, so you can change at either state or national level. We’ll provide your state’s form and procedures for free.

  • Facebook Name Change

    It’s simple to change your name on Facebook and may only take a few minutes.

  • Driver's License Name Change

    Be prepared for a lengthy wait and pack a suitcase of documents. Many state DMV’s can make changing names a challenging process.

  • Social Security Name Change

    Changing names on your social security card is a simple process, and free.