Free Marriage Name Change Checklist
Need to know who to notify after changing names? To make the task easier, we've compiled a comprehensive name change checklist. Download this as a word document at the bottom of the page and keep track of your progress.
Priority name changes
- Marriage certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages. Fees apply. You need your certificate to prove your new name with banks, passports and driver licensing
- Driver’s license. You need to do this in person. Take your original BDM marriage certificate and current license.
- Bank accounts. Banks with substantial branch networks require you to visit in person with your original BDM marriage certificate, photo ID (in either name) and any bank ATM/credit cards.
- Medicare. Visit a Medicare office in person with your original marriage certificate and current Medicare card.
- Your employer. You may have your email address, directory listing and business cards all updated while you are on your honeymoon.
All other name changes
- Passport. If you’ve got pending travel you should leave this till later. If you're ready to update your passport now you can have it done free of charge, providing you have at least 2 years validity on your existing passport.
- Car registration. This can usually be done at the road authority when changing names on your drivers license.
- Electoral Roll
- Australian Taxation Office
- Utilities (electricity, gas, water)
- Home phone
- Mobile phone
- Pay TV
- Insurance (car, house, health, life, income protection)
- Investments and shares
- Frequent Flyer
- Loyalty Clubs
- Auto clubs (RACV)
- Sports clubs (racing clubs, football clubs)
- Memberships (library, gym, etc)
- Magazine subscriptions
- Australian Business registrar (if you are a director of a company)
- Local council (if you pay rates)
- Landlord/agent (if renting) and rental bonds
- Alumni (university, high school)
- Your children’s school (if applicable)
- Professional services (your accountant, lawyer, health care specialists)
- Online (Facebook, ebay, LinkedIn)
- Road toll accounts
- Australian Organ Donor Register
- Pet microchip company
- Your will (marriage immediately voids any prior will)
Free Name Change Checklist
Want us to take care of all your name change paperwork?
See our interactive online checklist here. We'll list almost all the companies you need to notify of your new name, so you can check them off online, then we'll send you the name change procedure or corresponding paperwork.
Considering Changing Names?
- BDM Certificates
- Driver License
- Over 50 listings!
- 13 company categories
- Ready to send letters
- Company name change forms
- Just sign & send!