Centrelink Name Change

Centrelink Name Change

Centrelink Name Change


Centrelink usually only allow name change in person, however due to covid-19, the process has changed. Anyone may still change names and/or establish a Centrelink account in person. If you have an online profile you can now upload your proof of name change then follow up with call to have your record updated. We explain each option in more detail below.

How Easy Name Change can help

Just because your name is updated with Centrelink does not mean any other records change. Medicare, state driver's licence, passport, ATO, superannuation and all other records remain as is. Easy Name Change saves an average of 8 hours of calling around, looking for forms, figuring what each company needs and where to send it. Choose from our database of over 650 companies and get personalised and ready to send forms, letters and emails. In most cases just attach your proof of name change, sign and send!


Centrelink: Changing names in person

Present either updated government issued photo ID or take your original proof of name change document from Births, Deaths and Marriages in person to any Services Australia location. Services Australia incorporates Medicare so you can update both records at the same time. 

Centrelink: Change names online & by phone

Log into your Centrelink account through either the Centrelink Express Plus app or through myGov. Us the 'document upload' feature to provide your certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages as proof of your name change. Wait at least an hour for the upload to be visible to Centrelink staff. Next, call the Centrelink line responsible for your payment (eg: parenting payment, Austudy, disability pension). Explain you have uploaded your certificate and wait while this is checked. Your details will be updated on the spot.

Please note your name change with Centrelink does not flow through to Medicare. You still need to follow the steps to change names with Medicare. Order an Easy Name Change kit and get Medicare name change form.

Do you have a change in circumstances?

A change of name often coincides with a change of circumstances so your payments may be impacted. No matter if you visit Services Australia in person or call your Centrelink line, be sure to explain any change in circumstance so you can have your payment updated if necessary.

Can you make a Centrelink claim in your former name?

Perhaps you have not been able to get through to Centrelink to request your name is changed? Or you may have changed names in a number of places except Centrelink. Can you still make a claim? Yes, if your name change involves adding or removing your spouse's surname you can make a Centrelink claim in either name. That's because a married name is an assumed name, meaning your birth name and your married names are both yours to use for the rest of your life, regardless of your personal situation. You can make a claim with Centrelink using the name that Centrelink currently has on file. Be sure your bank details are current, and this can be easily changed online through the Centrelink Plus app. You can then update your name once wait times are reduced. 

If you have legally changed names you have renounced the right to be known by your former name so you should follow the steps to have your name updated with Centrelink.   

Questions about changing names?

Easy Name Change are Australia's leading name change experts. We know all the tricky details of name change for every situation. Our ready to send forms, letters and emails save customers an average of 8 hours. No wasted time on hold. Just sign and send!

Need to change names with Centrelink? Usually you are required to attend a Centrelink office in person, however there is a temporary process change. If you can't get through to Centrelink you may be able to make a claim under either name.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save hours, or your money back!
  • BDM Certificates
  • Driver License
  • ATO
  • Over 50 listings!
And More!
  • 13 company categories
  • Ready to send letters
  • Company name change forms
  • Just sign & send!