How Do I Notify Companies of My New Name?
Once married and you've decided to change names it's your responsibility to get all your accounts, memberships and identification moved over into your new name. There's no official 'registration' of your new name - just start using it! You'll need a marriage certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages to get started.
Do it yourself
If you've got a whole lot of time and patience you can manage the notification process yourself. Make a list with every company you need to notify. You'll need to contact each one directly to ask what process to follow. You may be asked to return a form, send a letter, an email, a fax, visit a branch or something different. Then set aside the time to write all your letters and faxes.
Let us do it for you
We've already done the hard work. Check out our 500+ companies and simply select which ones you need to change names with. We'll let you know exactly what to do with each company and provide all this information in a detailed personalised checklist. We'll also provide ready to send forms, letters, emails and faxes for all companies where your name change can be sent in writing. In many cases you can just sign and send!
No matter if you create your own name change notifications and find all the correct company forms, or let us provide it all for you, the same process should be followed by anyone changing names;
- Get your marriage certificate from Births Deaths and Marriages
- Visit the Department of Human Services (Medicare), driver licencing offices and big banks in person with your original marriage or legal name change certificate
- Either buy a personalised name change kit, or else contact each company to check their procedure, wait for forms and write your letters and emails
- Send off all your name change letters, emails and forms
- Your name is usually changed within a day or two of each company receiving your request
- Update photo ID, such as drivers licence or passport, first. This can be used as proof of your name change with smaller companies.
- Take a few photocopies of your licence and passport before changing names as your old one may need to be surrendered. You may find you need to prove your old name, even if several years down the track.
- Aim to get your name changed everywhere within a month. Name changes that drag out can become very frustrating when you need to prove your identity.
Ready to get started?
It's free to browse our database and see who we can provide name change procedures and paperwork for. All you need is 10 minutes and the hardest part will be done.
Considering Changing Names?
- BDM Certificates
- Driver License
- Over 50 listings!
- 13 company categories
- Ready to send letters
- Company name change forms
- Just sign & send!