Online Divorce Form Customers
What proof will I need?
You don't need to be divorced to go back to your former name! Where any Easy Name Change notification asks for a copy of your "certificate", we mean either:
- Your marriage certificate AND your divorce decree (preferred), OR
- Your marriage certificate AND either your CA birth or CA citizenship certificate in your former name
If you do not provide your divorce decree some organizations may ask for proof that you have resumed use of your former name, such as updated provincial ID or a payslip.
If you became a Canadian citizen in your married name you are unable to resume use of your former name without applying for a legal name change. Read our section on legal name change below.
Getting started with your name change
There is generally no special order to changing your name. You can update the name on your SIN record at the beginning, or you can update photo ID and bank accounts first. It may be a good idea to update photo ID earlier in the process as it may be useful as proof of your new name when visiting places like your library, doctor or when changing names anywhere in person.
Full instructions on how to use your kit are provided in the email containing your kit. The Easy Name Change guide provides a fantastic overview of the name change process. The Easy Name Change Personalized Checklist explains the name change process for all your chosen companies. Read the checklist before sending out your notifications.
If you have any questions as you go through the process please email email@example.com
Want a different name?
Not everyone wants their old name back! If the thought of returning to your former name is not appealing you may apply for a legal name change. This is a relatively simple process. You can request the legal name change application form a part of your Easy Name Change kit. Complete the form and file with Vital Statistics in your province. Fees vary between provinces and are between $100 and $200. Most provinces require a police check and fingerprinting. You
It may cause complications if you change names during divorce proceedings, so seek advice from the court where you are getting divorced.
Who needs a legal name change?
If you were born in Canada or became a Canadian citizen in your former name then you don't need to apply for a legal name change to go back to your former name! Simply show your marriage certificate together with either your divorce decree or CA birth certificate or CA citizenship certificate in your former name.
A legal name change is only required if any one of these apply:
- You want to use a surname other than your current surname or a former married surname
- You want to add, remove or change any part of your given name/s, no matter how minor the change
- You became a Canadian citizen in your current married name
- You applied for a legal name change when you took your spouse's surname. Although this does happen, it is rare. Most newlyweds change names by showing their marriage certificate. If you were married in BC and added your spouse's surname to your own (eg: Smith-Jones), then you will need a legal name change to go back to your former name.
Easy Name Change offers all customers a 100% refund if they are not satisfied with our name change kit. If you purchased an Easy Name Change kit via your online divorce forms provider you can request a refund from your online divorce forms provider within 12 months of purchase. Your refund will only be made into the same account from which you paid (ie; PayPal sales will only be refunded into that same PayPal account). Follow these simple steps.
- Using the email account you registered with, contact your online divorce forms provider. It's essential you use the same email so that your divorce forms provider can locate your order history and confirm you are the account owner.
- Explain your reason for not being satisfied with your Easy Name Change kit. This allows us to improve the service for other customers
If you upgraded to a print & post kit with Easy Name Change, contact Easy Name Change directly for the refund of your upgraded portion. You are welcome to retain your hard copy kit, less a $20 charge for P&H. To receive a full refund please return your kit by mail to the address below. Full refunds are only processed after your kit is received by customer service.
Easy Name Change LLC #3279. 2028 E Ben White Blvd, Suite 240. Austin, TX. 78741-6931.