What Are My Divorce Name Options?

What Are My Divorce Name Options?

What Are My Divorce Name Options?

If you changed names after marriage, you only assumed your husband's name. This means your legal name was never changed. A legal name change will be noted on your birth certificate. An assumed name is simply when you start using a new name, as most women do after marriage.

What proof do I need?

When you were married you simply used your marriage certificate to prove your current and new name. If you want to change names after divorce it's much the same process. Simply show your birth certificate as evidence of your birth name, plus EITHER your marriage certificate OR divorce order as proof of your married name. All organizations will allow you to go back to your former name.

What name can I take?

Keep your current name: There's no need to change names after divorce. You can continue to be known by your married name. 

Use your former name: You can go back to the name you held prior to marriage. For most people this is their birth name.

Married more than once? You can be known by any married name, even if you have since divorced. This means you can choose to be known by any name you have held from birth or marriage. You simply need government issued documents that prove the link between your names. This may be Vital Statistics issued birth and marriage certificates.

Want a different name? If you want a name other than one you have previously held you must apply for a legal name change with the Vital Statistics office in your province. You will receive an amended birth certificate that lists your birth name and new legal name.

Ready to start changing names now?

You can start using your preferred name straight away. Next you'll need to notify all the various organizations of your new name. Companies have a range of name change procedures, with some requiring a letter, fax or form to be sent it. To learn each company's procedure and what to send where, just click the button below.


Go back to your prior name at any time. You can also continue to be known by your married name. We explain the process of changing names.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee