Name Change for Non Citizens

Name Change for Non Citizens

Name Change for Non Citizens

Am I eligible to change my name in Canada?

Certificates of Name Change are issued by the Vital Statistics Agency in your home province. Whilst the law varies between provinces, generally speaking you are eligible to change your name if you have one of the following documents:

  • A Canadian birth certificate
  • A Canadian Citizenship card
  • Canadian Record of Immigrant Landing/Permanent resident card

There are additional conditions, and while these vary between provinces, they may include:

  • Minimum age ranging from 16 to 19 years (to change your own name)
  • Must have been a resident of that province, varying between 3 to12 months

If you do not have one of these documents you may not be eligible to change your name in Canada. To find out more, including if you are eligible to change your name in Canada, contact your provincial Vital Statistics Office directly. 

I am eligible. What next?

Apply for a legal name change directly with Vital Statistics in the province where you currently reside. As you do not hold a Canadian birth certificate, you will be required to surrender your permanent resident card. We recommend taking some photocopies first.

Once your application is successful, you must apply for a replacement permanent resident card under your new name. Easy Name Change provides the application forms to replace your PR card or citizenship papers in our personalized kits.

What about my name in my country of birth/citizenship?

Dual citizens should consider what implications may arise as a result of having documents issued in their birth country under a different name. Some countries allow you to change your foreign passport abroad with a Canadian legal name change certificate. Speak to your embassy to find out if your country qualifies and the exact process and laws. Once you have your foreign passports in a new name, most companies from that country should allow your name change.

If you are unable to update your foreign passport, you may choose to undertake a name change in your country of birth. Some countries can facilitate this while living abroad. If you can't or don't want to change your name abroad, be mindful of having 2 different names and always carry your Canadian legal name change certificate when travelling internationally.

Once you have made your assessment on changing names and have decided to proceed, complete your province's legal name change application form. It usually takes a few weeks to complete the form and gather all the supporting documents needed. There is a fee to change names which is payable directly to Vital Statistics, the fee varies between provinces and is separate to the cost of purchasing an Easy Name Change kit. Vital Statistics Name Change forms and information are available in all Easy Name Change kits, or can be obtained directly from Vital Statistics.  The form has clear instructions on how to be completed.

There is no right or wrong way to go about changing names.  

We're often asked 'what should I do' by non citizens who want to change names. Every person's situation is unique and we are unable to answer this question. You must weight your desire to be known by a new name, the legal name change process, updating your PR card and notifying companies and deciding what to do about your name in your country of birth. We can't make this assessment for you.

How come Easy Name Change does not provide name change advice for immigration?

Immigration is a complex area of the law and Easy Name Change are not specialists in immigration.  As each situation is unique and some are quite complex we do not provide any further information beyond what appears on this page. 

If you have any further questions regarding your situation we recommend you speak to an immigration professional, the Canadian Immigration Department or your embassy.  Contact details are provided at the end of this page.

Can I use an Easy Name Change kit if I am a non-citizen?

Once you have determined that you will not have any repercussions with Canadian immigration or your country of citizenship, an Easy Name Change kit will be helpful.  The requirements and process of changing your name with Canadian organisations where you hold an account or membership is the same regardless of your citizenship status.

Our kits provide the forms you need to change your name, instructions on how to complete the form and help you through the name change process. Personalized kits also provide name change requests created in your name and addressed to each of your nominated companies. If any of your nominated organisations have a special name change form we also provide it.  All you need to do is print, sign, add supporting documents where indicated and post.  If you don’t have access to a printer you should purchase the Premium hard copy kit.

Booking international flights

One bit of advice we can provide is to be careful when booking international travel!  You should only book flights under the name that currently appears in your passport, even if your intention is to change it. Complications can arise if your application is delayed or rejected and you have a booking under a name that has never legally been yours. Airlines usually re-issue tickets in your new name if you provide a statutory declaration and evidence of your prior name and current name (your old and new passport).  However, airlines will not let you change the name on your ticket to any name that has not appeared on a previous or current passport.

Contact Details and links

Department of Immigration and Citizenship:    1-888-242 2100


Canadian permanent residents can apply for a legal name change; however you should consider implications in your birth country.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee