Changing Names after Marriage in BC

Changing Names after Marriage in BC

Changing Names after Marriage in BC

Marriage is the most common reason for changing names. In BC you can take your spouse’s name after marriage or keep your own.  A double barrelled surname is where you add your spouse’s surname to your own, either with or without a hyphen. Either spouse may take their partner’s surname in place of their own, or in addition to their own (either with a hyphen or space). Of course, you don’t have to change names after marriage, but if you’re visiting this site you probably want to know more about it.

Get your marriage certificate

All you need to get started changing names is a marriage certificate issued by Vital Statistics. We explain how to get your BC marriage certificate here. If You don’t have your certificate yet, we can provide the application form via the link below.


Ready to start changing names?

Start by updating your driver's license in person, and next other government records. Once you have updated photo ID, request your name is changed with all other companies. You may need to return a company’s name change form, send a letter or fax. Click below to get all your name change paperwork and the procedures for each company.


BC allows brides fewer choices for marriage name change. We explain your options and how to change names after marriage.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee