Passport Name Change After Marriage

Passport Name Change After Marriage

Passport Name Change After Marriage

Changing names after marriage is customary and not requried by law, but around 85% of brides will go onto change names. When applying for a name change in your Canadian passport, you must apply for a new passport and pay full passport renewal fees. No credit is given for any time remaining in your current passport.

As it's legal to be known by either your married or maiden name at any time, regardless of your marital situation, you may still travel under  passport issued in your maiden name. Passports Canada doesn't recommend this as you may have issued when trying to prove your identity when travelling. If you take this option ensure you travel with a copy of your marriage certificate and ALWAYS book travel under the name that CURRENTLY appears in your passport.

How to change names in your passport

You must update either your provincial driver's license (all provinces) or provincial health care card (except residents from AB, MB, NL) before applying for a name change in your Canadian Passport, as one of these documents in your new name must be submitted along with your current passport. Full fees of $120 for a 5 year passport, or $160 for a 10 year passport are payable directly to Passports Canada.

Name changes in passports can't be done via the renewal process. Complete the Adult Application form directly on the Passports Canada website. If you were married in Canada you are not required to submit your marriage certificate. 

Need to change names in other places?

We recommend updating your provicial driver's license or health card first. Some provinces have forms, others have a different procedure, such as visiting a branch office. You probably also need to update your utilities, phone account, loyalty clubs and more. Click the button below to get all the name change procedures for over 600 Canadian organizations. We'll also provide any special forms, letters or faxes.


If you've been married, apply for a new passport in your married name. We explain the process.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee