Using Both Maiden and Married Names

Using Both Maiden and Married Names

Get your name change paperwork, from $29

60+ government listings
  • SIN
  • Health card
  • Driver's License
  • Elections
Over 500 more companies!
  • Bank & credit cards
  • Insurance
  • Communications
  • Utilities & more!

Many women who have built up a good network and reputation within an industry will often decide to retain their maiden name in the workforce.  This is common practice, especially with the average age of marriage rising and women having pivotal roles within industry.

In this instance you can still go ahead and change your name on your passport, driver’s licence and all other documents whilst having a different professional name. As your marriage name is just an assumed name, you are legally entitled to be known by either your married or former name at any time regardless of your marital situation. 

Tips on being known by two names

If you decide to change the name on your passport and bank accounts, but retain your maiden name at work, then just watch out for a few common pitfalls:

  • Ensure your work books any international plane tickets under the name in your passport
  • Advise payroll when your bank account details change
  • Ensure company pensions are updated into the correct name.

Ready to start changing names?

Companies have a range of name change procedures; sending in forms, letters, faxes, emails, in person. Working out what to send where can be very time consuming! We'll provide comprehensive name change procedures for virtually all the places where you need to change names, plus any corresponding paperwork. It's that simple!