Name Change After Divorce

Everything you need to change names, from $20

State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 listings
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee

Get a court order restoring your prior name

Request an order restoring your former name as part of your divorce proceedings. Some courts can issue this before your divorce is finalized, and may allow you to take your former name or a new name. This document is needed as proof of your name change.

Or use your divorce order

If your divorce has already been finalized and you didn't request a name change order, you can still change names after divorce. It's best to return to the court where your divorce was granted and ask if a name change order can be issued after the fact. If the court cannot issue a name change order without filing a new petition and paying the fee, you may still be able to reclaim your former name.

As the SSA allow name change without a court order, you should try changing names with the SSA first. Once the SSA accepts your name change, you can go onto change names with other government agencies, which helps create sufficient evidence of name change for all other companies. We explain more in the Easy Name Change guide which comes with all our kits. 

Always start with Social Security

As with all name changes, start by getting a Social Security card issued in your new name. Other government agencies can only change names to be the same as listed with the SSA. Read our section on divorce name change with Social Security for more information.

Then change your name everywhere else

This is the time consuming part as you need to contact each organization where you hold an account or membership to get your records changed, and each organization has their own name change procedure. You may need to send a letter, a fax, wait for a form to be delivered, visit in person, or go online.

Each company also has their own proof of name change requirements. Generally speaking, we recommend providing a copy of your divorce decree AND photo ID under both old and new names when changing names by mail or fax. This results in fewer requests for more information.

Let us do the hard work for you

Can't be bothered calling each company to ask name change procedures and proof requirements? We have all the information you need across thousands of organizations. When you receive your personalized Easy Name Change kit, just add the documents listed at the bottom of each notification, sign and send. If any companies have a special form to complete we'll also provide it, along with details on how to submit the form.

Know what proof documents to include

In recent years companies have become more stringent in safeguarding account holder's identity. As a result many women report that it's more difficult to change names after divorce versus when they married, and that they are asked for more proof of identity documents. With an Easy Name Change kit, save yourself the inevitable hassle that comes with changing names, rejected name change requests and hours spent waiting on hold.

Here's 3 ways to make the change

The most difficult way is to do it all yourself - it requires lots of research, looking for the latest forms and information.

The second way is to check out our basic kit. We'll provide personalized forms and information to change names with all state and federal agencies. We also include the Easy Name Change guide and a checklist to step you though the process.

Finally, to make the name change as simple and pain free as possible, we recommend the personalized kit. We provide virtually all the forms you need for both government agencies and private organizations. We've researched the name change procedure for each one, so you don't get a letter unless it's that company's name change policy. Best of all, we have an unconditional 60 day money back guarantee, so it's totally risk free. Just click below to get started.