Name Change After Marriage

Everything you need to change names, from $20

State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 listings
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee

Once you've decided to change surnames after marriage, it's up to you to notify all the various agencies and companies of your new name. All you need is your marriage certificate, some time and a whole lot of patience, or cut out hours of work with an Easy Name Change kit.

First, get your marriage certificate

No matter how you decide to proceed, the only document needed to start your name change is your marriage certificate. While many organizations accept religious marriage certificates, some government agencies insist on a government-issued certificate because it is consistently formatted and may contain enhanced security or identity features. You can get this from your local registrar or from your state vital statistics office. See how to get your marriage certificate for more information.

Next, change names with the SSA

The next step is to advise the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new name. Many government agencies will pull records from the SSA and only allow a name change to what is currently on file with the SSA. Social security records are usually updated within 3 working days of your from being received. You can attend a SSA facility in person or return the form by mail. 

Then update photo ID

The next priority is to get government-issued photo ID changed into your new name. Many organizations may ask to see updated ID as evidence of your name change.  It's also convenient to have an updated license on hand for when you come across an opportunity to change names in person, like when visiting your doctor.

Finally, change names on all your accounts

As company sets their own name change procedure, the final and most time-consuming stage in changing names is updating all your accounts and memberships. You may be told to send a fax, send a letter, return a form or visit a branch in-person. You also need to learn which company needs what documents; some may need a marriage certificate while others may request your updated driver's license. Learning the correct process for each company usually takes all day as you call around and ask.

Can't be bothered waiting on hold? Easy Name Change cuts out virtually all the research. We provide the name change procedures and paperwork for over a thousand organizations. No need to google, wait on hold or research special name change forms. We explain what documents to include as proof of your name change with each company. In fact, we're so sure our kits will save you hours of work that we'll provide a full refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ready to start changing names now?

Don't have a marriage certificate? No problem, we'll provide you with the form or procedure to apply. Not yet married? You can get your name change paperwork started now, then just add your certificate once available and send. In just 15 minutes you can have all the information and paperwork needed to change names.