Marriage Name Change for Non Citizens

Everything you need to change names, from $20

State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 listings
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee

If you are legally entitled to reside in the USA and have accounts, memberships or identification here you can have these records changed into your new name after marriage. All you need to get started is a marriage certificate. It doesn't matter if the certificate is issued by an American authority (such as a church, synagogue, the court or vital statistics) or an overseas authority.

Change your green card after marriage

If you hold a green card (Legal Permanent Resident Card), apply to get this updated first. You'll need to show a marriage certificate and proof of identification. It does not matter if your marriage certificate was issued in the US or abroad, but if in a different language it should be translated to English. Complete form I-90, 'Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card'. This form is available in all our kits. Just select 'immigration' from the government listings.  You'll need to pay a total of $450 to replace your green card. Most agencies will need to see the name changed on your green card before updating their records. Though not illegal, you can choose to leave your green card in your maiden name, however it can make proving your identity very difficult.

Update other government records

Prioritize a replacement Social Security card in your new name. Complete form 'SS5 Application for a Social Security Card', also included in our basic kit. You can expect an updated SSA card within 2 weeks. Next, update government issued photo ID, such as driving licenses. Our basic kit provides all the information, forms and filing details to change your name with government agencies.

All other records

Arrange for all your other accounts, policies and memberships to be updated. This is most easily done by purchasing our standard kit, where you can choose from over 1,000 additional companies. Browse our database and see what companies we provide comprehensive name change procedures and paperwork for. We'll send you the name change form, fax or letter for each company you nominate, or if the name change request does not need to be in writing, we let you know exactly what to do. Finally, add the identity and proof documents listed at the bottom of each company specific notification and send.

Travelling soon?

Always be mindful of pending travel arrangements. If you plan to travel the name in your passport must match the name on your flight tickets. Some organizations may also require your credit card is in the same name as your passport. If you can't finalize your name change in all your documents before travelling you may leave your name as is for now, then go about making the change on your return. It's also OK to have a green card in a different name from your bookings, just make sure you travel with your marriage certificate in case you need to explain yourself and a passport where the name matches your airline booking.

What about my name back home?

As passports are issued by over 160 countries we are unable to tell you of the procedure for changing your name outside of the USA. Contact your embassy to learn more. Many countries will recognize an American or foreign marriage certificate and be even able to update your passport from the USA. Be mindful of your US visa and speak with immigration as it will need to be updated when a new passport is issued.

If your embassy does not allow for name change while abroad, ask what procedure is required to have your name change recognized in your country of citizenship. Generally speaking, most western countries consider name change by marriage an assumed name and may legally recognize you under either your maiden name or your married name by presenting your marriage certificate.

You may choose to have any your accounts from abroad changed to your married name while residing in the USA. Contact each company directly and ask how to change names. Ensure you explain what type of documents you have as proof of your name change, such as a US marriage certificate or updated foreign passport.

Easy Name change operates internationally and we can provide some information for changing names in Canada, Australia or the UKOutside of our existing regional sites, Easy Name Change is unable to provide general advice about changing your name abroad. As there are hundreds of other countries, and millions of foreign companies we can’t provide any further advice about name change abroad other than what appears on this page.

I'm ready to change names. What next?

If you want to start changing names now, simply start using your new name and sign all documents with that name. The first document you need to updated is your Social Security Card. We provide the form in our basic kit, which also includes all name change forms and procedures for popular government agencies. If you have a bunch of other companies to notify, our standard kit provides all the forms, letters, faxes and procedures. In many cases you can just sign and send! With our free and 100% money back guarantee on our standard kit, you have nothing to lose!