Update Your Passport After Marriage

Update Your Passport After Marriage

Update Your Passport After Marriage

If you're changing names after marriage it is recommended but not compulsory to have a new US passport issued. If your passport is less than a year old then you’re in luck – replacements are free. If your passport is more than 12 months old then you’ll be hit with fees for a new 10 year passport. While it is not essential to update the name in your passport, be aware you may run into problems when travelling and having to prove your identity, so read our tips below first.

Free service

If you were recently issued with a US passport, apply for a name change within 12 months of the issue date for a free replacement. Use form DS-5504, which you can download for free below. Fees only apply for expedited service requests. Apply by mail, including your current passport, original marriage certificate and other documents as listed on the form. Download the form via the button below. We step you through the process on how to complete your passport application and provide step by step filing information.



Replacement passport

If your passport is more than one year old, but less than 15 years old, you’ll need to apply for a new passport and pay full renewal fees of $110 for a book and/or $30 for a card (fees subject to change). Complete form DS-82 and file by mail. Click the button below to start personalizing your passport name change form. We provide all forms you need to change names with all the necessary organizations, including SSA, DMV, passport and over one thousand other organizations.


If you don't change names in your passport

If you're changing names after marriage it's recommended, but not mandatory, to update your passport. It is perfectly legal to travel on a passport issued in your prior name, even if you have changed names in most other places. You must always book international flights on the name that currently appears in your passport. If you are abroad using a passport under your maiden name, but you have credit cards and your drivers license under your married name you may have a difficult time if you need to prove your identity. It is therefore recommended you consider updating your passport before booking flights so that you can use your married name, or else travel with your marriage certificate in case you need to prove you are one and the same person.

Need to change names with other companies?

If you've recently married chances are you need to change names in many places. It's free to see who we can help you change names with. Our personalized kits provide comprehensive name change procedures over a thousand organizations. We'll tell you exactly what each company needs you to do so you don't need to spend hours on hold. If any of your companies needs you to send a letter, fax or form we'll provide it, ready to just sign and send.


There's different forms to use depending when your passport was issued. Follow the links to download the form you need.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save you hours, or your money back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee