Name Change After Marriage

Changing names? It’s up to you to notify all the various agencies and companies of your new name. The only proof document needed is your marriage certificate. There’s no ‘registration’ of your married name, just start using it! Easy Name Change helps by providing ready to send name change notifications to get all your records updated. Just choose which companies to notify and get detailed filing instructions and ready to send notifications.

First, get your marriage certificate

The only document needed to start your name change is your marriage certificate. While many organizations accept religious marriage certificates, some agencies may insist on a government-issued certificate because it contains enhanced security features. You can get your original government-issued marriage certificate from your local county clerk or state vital statistics office (also called an original certified copy of your marriage certificate). See how to get your marriage certificate for more information.

Next, change names with the SSA

The next step is to advise the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new name. The DMV, IRS and other government agencies pull records from the SSA and only allow you to take the same name as what is currently on file with the SSA. Complete the SSA name change form either online or by mail. Applications started online usually require less evidence of identity documents. Once the form has been completed it’s recommended you attend any SSA office so your identity documents can be shown in person, saving having to send these sensitive documents by post. If you prefer to file by mail you will need to post in original evidence of identity documents. Once your identification has been verified allow up to 3 working days for the change to be visible to other agencies, like the DMV. 

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Then update photo ID

Once you have proof your name has been changed with the SSA, update photo ID with your state road authority.  Most banks will ask to see updated ID as evidence of your name change.  It’s also convenient to have an updated license on hand for when you come across an opportunity to change names in person, like when visiting your doctor or library.

Finally, change names on all your accounts

As each company sets their own name change process, the final and most time-consuming stage in changing names is updating all your accounts and memberships. You may be told to send letter, an email or to log into your account. Some companies have special forms. Banks usually need you to visit a branch in person. You have to figure out which companies need your marriage certificate, which ones need photo ID and where to send it all!  It takes hours to learn the correct process for each company! We can take care of all this for you.

Get detailed filing instructions and ready to send notifications for all your organizations. No need to google, wait on hold or search for special name change forms. We explain what proof document each company needs. In fact, we’re so sure our kits will save you hours of work that we’ll provide a full refund if you’re not happy for any reason.

Ready to start changing names now?

Don’t have a marriage certificate? No problem, we’ll let you know how to apply, and provide your state form if they have one! Not yet married? You can get your name change paperwork started now, then just add your certificate once available. It only takes 10 minutes to get all the information and paperwork you’ll need.


Ready to change your name now?