Changing names while residing abroad

Changing names while residing abroad

Changing names while residing abroad

Individuals living abroad may have a number of records and accounts across 2 different countries. Another common issue is that they may have most of their records in one country but may not know if they can change names while outside of that country. We explain how to change names from abroad and have some general issues you may experience below.

Can I change names with US companies while I am outside the USA?

There is no easy answer for this. In all honesty it depends on that individuals unique combination of organizations and what the name change policy for each organization is. For example, all DMV driver licenses, non driver ID cards and most large banks can only be updated in person.

How do I change my US passport while abroad?

If you are residing abroad for an extended period you may be able to get the name in your US passport changed by presenting a foreign equivilent document, such as an Australian BDM issued marriage certificate, Canadian Vital Stats legal name change document along with an updated foreign drivers license. This is determined on a case by case basis. Speak with the passports office or your local US consulate or the US passports office in the USA to learn more.

You should also speak with the authorities who have issued your visa in the country where you are currently residing. They may have certain policies on re-issuing your visa. Visas are usually linked to passport numbers, so when your name changes on your passport and you receive a new passport, any prior visas may be invalid.

How to I change all other records while abroad?

You can contact each of your US companies directly to ask their name change process and ask if you should send in a letter, fax, form or follow any other name change process while you are abroad. You may get lucky and have all your companies accept a name change request from outside the USA. Do keep in mind many banks and government issued photo ID cannot be changed unless you attend a branch in person.

Can an Easy Name Change kit help?

Easy Name Change's USA kits were created for customers presently residing in the USA. As the overwhelming majority of our customers are currently living in the USA our research only extended to domestic name change requests. We do not allow the input of a non-USA address as we can not guarantee any of the notifications we provide would be accepted if sent from abroad. We are also aware there are a few companies where you must attend a branch in person. 

Many customers abroad go onto purchase an Easy Name Change kit and will input a US address. If you sign your letters and forms and arrange for them to be dispatched from within the USA these companies will accept your request. But do be aware any companies requiring to be visited in person will be unable to update your name. Should you ever run into issues with these companies when proving your identity you may be required to produce a marriage certificate or court order at that time.

The experience of changing names in your home country while residing abroad will be different for everyone as it depends on the policy from each of your organizations.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save you hours, or your money back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee