IRS Name Change

IRS Name Change

IRS Name Change

After your marriage, divorce or legal name change, the first place to notify of your name change is the SSA. There is no need to notify the IRS of your name change as they pull records from the SSA.

There are a few things to be mindful of in your future dealings with the IRS. When you file your tax return at the end of the year, ensure you use the exact same name that currently appears on your SSA card or you may encounter delays with your refund.

The IRS must be informed of any change in address - download the Change of Address form here. When filing W-4 at the end of the year, clearly indicate your marital status as it may have changed during the year. You should indicate your marital status as of the last day of the year.

How to change names with the SSA

Simply download, complete and file form 'SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card'. Your name is updated with the SSA within 3 working days of your request being received. You will either receive a replacement card or official correspondence in your new name. Your SSN stays the same. Hold onto any correspondence in your new name as this can be used as proof of your name change with some companies. Only change names with the DMV and on your passport once your SSA records have been updated. We provide all the necessary forms you'll need to get your name changed everywhere.

Download SSA name change form


Need to change names in other places?

If you're changing names from marriage, divorce or court order, then chances are you need to update all your records, accounts, ID and memberships. From just $29 our personalized notification kit provides name change procedures and forms for all state and federal agencies, plus over 500 other companies. It's ideal if you can't be bothered calling your bank, phone company, membership clubs, insurance company and the rest. In just a few clicks we'll send you ready to send forms, letters, emails and faxes. Just sign and send! Click below to get started.


IRS don’t need to be notified of name changes as records are pulled from the SSA. However there are some other considerations.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save you hours, or your money back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee