Name change
after marriage

Our kit provides all the necessary paperwork with easy instructions to save you hours changing your name.

How to change names after marriage, Pennsylvania

Congratulations! You’re married and have decided to take your spouse’s surname! The not-so-great news… it can take weeks to get all your accounts and records changed over to your new name yourself. 

Our service saves the hassle of contacting each company to verify their process! Our ready-to-send forms, letters and emails means you save hours of tedious administration!  

Even better – you only need your marriage certificate to get started! Simply attach it to our personalized notifications and send! You’ll still need to visit the DMV and most banks in person, but our instructions and hacks will save hours!

Both parties must appear together at any Californian county registrar and show government issued photo ID. There are no residency requirements. Many counties also have an online ordering service, however you are usually required to pay the fee and show appropriate identification when collecting the license.

Fees vary between counties, but expect to pay around $91 for a marriage license or $85 for a confidential license. Licenses are valid immediately and can be used throughout California for up to 90 days.

The Californian Name Change Equality Act provides a range of name change options to both spouses on marriage. To avoid issues with an unusual married name change being accepted by organizations, your preferred married name must be included on your marriage license when applying. This name is printed on your marriage certificate, which you can order once married. Your certificate should be shown wherever proof of your new name is required. Once you have successfully applied for your marriage license it is not possible to request any changes.

Didn’t state your preferred name on your license? The SSA will allow you to take your husband’s name in place of your own even if this is not clear on your marriage certificate. You can then apply to the California DMV and ask your new driver’s license is updated to match your SSA records. Approval is often on a case by case basis. Some DMV representatives may allow your name change by showing a marriage certificate that does not include your preferred name. If the DMV and other organizations do not allow your name change you may have no choice but to apply for a court ordered name change instead.

The person conducting your ceremony has 2 weeks to file the completed marriage license with the registrar from the county where it was issued. You may then order a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the county clerk where filed.

Most counties allow for walk in service. Many also have online ordering systems. Fees vary between counties, but you can expect to pay around $15-$20 for the first copy. Locate your county registrar or recorder here. It is not recommended to order from California Dept. of Health Vital Records as wait times can be up to six months.

Most agencies will only allow you to change your name to what is currently recorded with the SSA. Ensure the SSA has updated your name before changing names with the DMV. Complete and return form SS5 ‘Application for a Social Security Card’, included in your Easy Name Change kit. The SSA updates their records within 2-3 days of receiving your request. There is no fee.

Once your name has been changed with the SSA, use the DMV online application to apply for a new DL/ID card with your new name. Standard license applicants will only need to show their official marriage certificate. If upgrading to REAL ID, you can do so in this application and will need to show various documents; proof of identity, proof of SSN and 2 proofs of CA residency. You must visit a DMV licensing centre in person to show original identification, your current license, have your picture and thumbprint taken and pay the fee. 

If you have a vehicle title, take it along with a statement of Facts form (available in your Easy Name Change kit) and your current license. Submit to the DMV by mail or in person. Fees are only applicable if you request a duplicate title.

If your passport was issued within the past 12 months you can apply for a free replacement with form DS-5504. Passports more than a year old should use form DS-82 and full renewal fees are payable (Passport books $130. Passport cards $30, fees subject to change without notice). No credit is given for unused time remaining in your passport.

If you have a large amount of time remaining in your passport, you may choose to leave your passport in your prior name while still updating all other records. It’s advisable to take proof of your name change should you need to prove your identity when travelling abroad.

If you are married in California, you must include your name change on the license at the time of application. Changes are only possible to middle and/or last names. Either spouse can elect to make the following changes, and spouses may have different surnames;

Last names

  • Take either spouse’s current surname
  • Take either spouse’s birth surname
  • Hyphenate both surnames
  • A single blended surname, where any part or segment of both spouse’s birth or current surnames are formed together to make a new surname
  • Leave your last name as is

Middle names

  • The current surname of either spouse
  • The surname of either spouse at birth
  • A hyphenated combination of the current middle name and current last name of the person or spouse
  • A hyphenated combination of the current middle name and the birth last name of the person or spouse
  • Leave your middle name as is


Order Your Kit

Our kit suits all name change reasons!
Save 8 hours with our ready to send forms


$ 79
  • Ready to send forms & letters
  • Ready to forward emails
  • Personalized checklist & guide
  • Instant Download
  • Money back guarantee
  • Priority printed and posted to your door
  • Handy folder & all envelopes
  • 3 stamped envelopes


$ 39
  • Ready to send forms & letters
  • Ready to forward emails
  • Personalized checklist & guide
  • Instant download
  • Money back guarantee
  • Priority printed and posted to your door
  • Handy folder & all envelopes
  • 3 stamped envelopes

Purchase a gift card


Marriage Name Change

All you need is your marriage certificate. Some places must be updated in person, some need you to send a request in writing. We explain what to send where. MORE

If you have the legal right to permanently reside in the USA you can change names here too. There’s no special ‘registration’ of your new name, just starting using it! Use our ready to send notifications to update your records.

You can take your spouse’s surname even if you were married overseas. Apply for your official foreign marriage certificate, then attach to our notifications and send. MORE

There are different forms to use depending on when your passport was issued. Follow the links to download the form you need.

Make the SSA your first priority! Download and file the SSA name change form as part of any kit. Once your name change is confirmed send off all other notifications. MORE

Religious vs government marriage certificate? You may need to order your official certificate from the county clerk as not all organizations accept a religious certificate. MORE
It’s not always as black and white as your surname or your spouse’s surname. You have a few more options. The same name change options are available to either spouse. MORE
It is possible to keep your maiden name as a middle name but you should first be aware of your state’s law. You may need to state your preferred name when filing for your wedding license. MORE
Want to do your own name change research and paperwork? Create your beautiful & personalized checklist with all the companies you may need to notify from our extensive database! MORE