Discover (Credit Card) Name Change Procedure
As with most financial institutions, Discover Card usually wants to see proof of your name change, such as your marriage certificate or court order, as well as proof you have started using your new name.
Customize your FREE name change checklist!
Newlyweds and divorcees typically have between 15 and 40 different places they need to notify. Just when you think you're done, another account or membership will pop up! Don't miss any companies with our FREE checklist! We have over 1,000 organizations broken down into 11 categories so it's easy to navigate and choose the places you need to notify.
How do I change the name on my Discover card?
Get started by either calling the number on the back of your card or sending a secure message after logging into your Discover card account. We recommend sending a secure message as it may negate the need to mail in copies of your identification.
Discover typically need to see a copy of your name change document (marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order), plus an updated government photo ID. If you send a secure message, be sure to explain your reason for changing names and upload the certificate and ID.
What records do I change first?
There's a special order to changing your names. No matter what your reason for making the change, always start by filing the name change form with the SSA. Wait for proof that the SSA has updated your name then attend your state DMV in person. We can provide the name change forms for both the SSA as well as your state DMV, if they have one.
Once you have received updated photo ID go onto change names with all financial institutions. Banks or credit unions with local branches generally require you go in person with original documents.
Next comes the time consuming part - all your other accounts, records and memberships. This can be anywhere from 5 to over 40 different places! Some need you to send in a letter, form or email, which we provide for you. Simply add the proof documents listed at the bottom of each notification, sign and send! If any of your companies need you to follow a different process we explain the steps to follow so you don't need to waste hours on hold learning the process.
Considering Changing Names?
- Over 200 listings
- Marriage certificate
- Driver's license & DMV
- Over 1,000 organizations
- 12 company categories
- Unlimited selections
- Money back guarantee
Change Your Name The Easy Way™
Whatever your reason for changing name Easy Name Change kits can help. We take the guess work out of knowing what to do next. Our customers can save about 4 hours of research and access hard to find information about name change. Don't delay - you can be on your way to changing your name in just 5 minutes.
- Choose Your Kit
- Printed & posted Receive all your name change documents by mail. Delivery in 5 days
- Matching envelopes
- Sent by email
- Easy Name Change Guide Our name change guide steps you though the process and explains the law. You won't be left guessing about anything!
- Government forms Over 200 government agencies. We help you complete all the forms
- Company forms If any selected companies have a special form we provide it and help you complete it
- Ready to send letters Letters are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and post!
- Ready to send faxes Faxes are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is sign, add any listed documents, and fax!
- Ready to send emails Ready to forward emails are created in your name and contain your name change info. All you need to do is attach any listed documents, and send!
- Over 1000 companies We've researched the name change procedure for over 1000 American organizations. Find out exactly what you need to do with each company, and receive any corresponding name change paprerwork.
- Personalized checklist
- Money back guarantee Not happy for any reason? Expect a full refund within 60 days.
- Print & Post