Discover Name Change

It’s recommended you update your name with the SSA before making any other name changes. Once you’ve done that, call up to get the name changed with Discover Card.

How do I change the name on my Discover card?

If you are changing names from marriage or divorce you don’t usually need to send in a copy of your proof of name change. It’s easiest to call 1-800-Discover (1-800-347-2683). You may also send a secure message.

No matter what your reason for changing names, you can instead send a secure message after logging into your Discover card account. Upload a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or name change order.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

What records do I change first?

There’s a special order to changing your name. No matter what your reason for making the change, always start by filing the name change form with the SSA. Wait for proof that the SSA has updated your name then attend your state DMV in person. We can provide the name change forms for both the SSA as well as your state DMV, if they have one.

Once you have received updated photo ID go on to change names with all financial institutions. Banks or credit unions with local branches generally require you go in person with original documents.

Next comes the time-consuming part – all your other accounts, records and memberships. This can be anywhere from 5 to over 40 different places! Some need you to send in a letter, form or email, which we provide for you. Simply add the proof documents listed at the bottom of each notification, sign and send! If any of your companies need you to follow a different process we explain the steps to follow so you don’t need to waste hours on hold learning the process.



Ready to change your name now?