Your Marriage Name Options

Your Marriage Name Options

Your Marriage Name Options

There are a range of options available to you after marriage. Any of these names can be taken by simply presenting your marriage certificate to the relevant organisation and your account will be updated into your preferred name. If you want a different name from what is below, or to drop a middle name, alter spelling or make any other change during the process, you will need to change your name by deed poll.

Take your spouse's surname

Either spouse may take the other's surname, either in place of their own surname, or in addition to. If adding the surnames together they can appear in either order and be separated by a space or hyphen.

Around 80% of brides still take their husband's surname. No matter which way you go, it's a straightforward change and you only need your marriage certificate. There is no paperwork or registration of your new name - you simply start using your new name any time after your wedding ceremony. Organisations will update your accounts and identification on presentation of your wedding certificate.

Use a combination of your married and maiden name

You may choose to take your spouse's surname in the steps outlined above, but you may decide to still use your former name at work . This is perfectly legal. When taking your spouse's name, you never loses the right to be known by your former name. Your spouse’s surname is an assumed name, meaning either partner can simply assume use of the other's surname without losing the right to be known by their birth name.

This is more common with women who have built a professional identity, such as journalists, lawyers, academics and teachers. If you choose this path, ensure any linked accounts, such as your pension plan, bank account details and flights, are all linked to the correct name.

Leave your name as is and take no action

No explanation needed really. It is worth remembering that no matter how much time has passed since your wedding, you can take your spouse's surname at any time and for any reason. This is often the case once planning a family wanting the whole family to have the same name.

Double barrelled or hyphenated surname 

You can add your spouse's surname to your own, with either a space or hyphen between the two. Most government departments allow this on presentation of your wedding certificate, however some financial institutions insist on a deed poll. Try changing your photo ID first, then use this as supporting evidence with these companies.

After marriage there are 4 options available to you and you can take any of these simply by presenting your wedding certificate.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
Government agencies
  • Passport
  • Driver license
  • Voter registration
  • HMRC and more!
12 additional categories
  • Banks & credit cards
  • Health, home, car insurances
  • Loyalty programs
  • Utilities and more!