Reverting to Your Maiden Name

Reverting to Your Maiden Name

Everything you need to change names, only £20

Full government listings
  • National Insurance
  • DVLA
  • TV License
  • Passport & more!
Hundreds more
  • Banking
  • Insurance
  • Communications
  • Utilities & more!

Start changing names now. You don't need to be divorced. We explain exactly what's required. 

What is required by law?

If you simply took your husband's name when you were married by way of showing your marriage certificate, you have by law 'assumed' his name. Legally you can still be known by your prior name at any time. If you want to revert to your maiden name you should only need to show your marriage and birth certificates which link your names. If your divorce is finalised it's often easier to show your decree absolute and birth certificate. If you were born abroad you can show your permanent residency or citizenship papers.

What proof do companies need to change records?

Each organisation has the right to set their own documentary evidence required for name change and it's not always consistent. If you are not divorced some companies will insist on a deed poll certificate, even though you are legally entitled to be known by your maiden name at any time. If an organisation insists on a deed poll we recommend being persistent and speaking to another company representative and explaining the law. 

When a company insists on a deed poll, update your photo ID first. Show this alongside your marriage and birth certificates. If your name change request is still rejected, reconsider your options; You can close your account and reopen a new one using your updated license or passport, or choose to do business with a more progressive organisation.

Make the change as simple as possible

We can tell you the exact name change procedure for all companies where you need to change names. We can also provide a ready to send letter or fax if required. If they have a special name change form we provide that too. No guesswork, no waiting on hold. 

When building your name change kit we recommend adding a comment into each letter via our customised cover letter feature. Your statement could read 'Please find enclosed a copy of my birth certificate and marriage certificate linking my married and maiden names.  I have also included a copy of updated government issued photo ID in my new name as evidence of my name change being finalised.'

Ready to start changing names?

You can be divorced, happily married or somewhere in between. Each of our letters states what name change proof to include for that company. Where we say to enclose your certificate, simply include your decree absolute or marriage and birth certificates. Want to know which companies we have procedures and paperwork for? Just click the button below.