Social Security Name Change From Divorce

Social Security Name Change From Divorce

Social Security Name Change From Divorce

As with all name changes, always start by getting a Social Security card issued in your new name. Other government agencies check your name with the SSA before they make any changes and your names must match.

What document do I need to change names with the SSA after divorce?

Applicants can complete the SS5 - Application for a Social Security Card form to request a card issued in their new name. Your state may have issued either a court order restoring your former name or a divorce decree that lists your married and former names. Either of these documents can be used as proof of your former name.  

Didn't request a name change order when divorcing?

Some states, such as California, allow you to modify the petition after the final judgment. Check with your court to see if this is possible. If not, you may still be able to use only your divorce order to change names. Start by checking with your DMV to see if they allow you to go back to your former name with only a divorce order. If this is allowed, update your name with the SSA then go onto change names with the SSA. With your divorce order, SSA name change and updated photo ID you should find all other companies will allow the change. If not try closing your account and opening a new one. If your DMV does not allow a name change with only a divorce order you may have no choice but to apply for a legal name change in your state. Read more about legal name change here.


Receive a replacement Social Security card in your new name

Once your application has been processed wait to receive confirmation of your name change. A replacement card with your new name and existing SSA number will be delivered about 2 weeks later or you may receive mailed correspondence in your new name. The DMV and other agencies can access your SSA records online, so you can visit your state DMV and request an updated license once the SSA has processed the change.

Our kit provides you with all the forms and information to change names with over one thousand state and federal agencies and various organizations. No trawling the web for information! We also include the Easy Name Change guide which steps you through the process. With kits from just $35 it will be the most affordable part of your divorce.

Need to change names with other companies?

Chances are you need to inform a large number of other companies of your new name. We provide ready to send name change forms, letters emails and faxes together with detailed filing instructions for over 1,000 US organizations. No need to call each one to check procedures or search for forms. And if you're not happy for any reason, we'll fully refund your money.


The SSA allows you to revert to your prior name after divorce. It's preferred you have an order restoring your former name or a divorce order listing both names. If not, you can show additional documents.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save you hours, or your money back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee