Name Change After Divorce

Get a court order restoring your prior name

Request an order restoring your former name as part of your divorce proceedings. Some courts can issue this before your divorce is finalized. Some states may instead issue a divorce decree that lists both your married and former names.  Either document can be used as proof of your name change.

Didn’t request the order when divorcing?

If your divorce has already been finalized and you didn’t request a name change order you can still change names after divorce. It’s best to return to the court where your divorce was granted and ask if an order to restore your former name can be issued after the fact. If the court cannot issue a name change order without filing and paying for a new petition, you may still be able to reclaim your former name by showing additional proof documents at the SSA, providing your state DMV allows a name change with the documents you have available.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Always start with Social Security

As with all name changes, start by getting a Social Security card issued in your new name. Other agencies can only change names to be the same as is listed with the SSA. Read our section on divorce name change with Social Security for more information.

Then change your name everywhere else

Save the most time with our name change notification kit! Get step-by-step instructions for all your companies along with ready-to-send name change notifications. You’ll save hours!

If you’ve got a spare day to do your own research and paperwork, then make a list of all the places you need to notify. Contact each organization to learn the process, get any forms, write letters and emails then send in your request. No doubt there will be plenty of time waiting on hold. Each organization sets its own name change process, so you’ll have a range of places where you need to send a letter or email, wait for a form to be delivered, visit in person, log into your account or call.

Generally speaking, we recommend providing a copy of your divorce decree AND photo ID in your new name. This results in fewer requests for more information.

Let us do the hard work for you

Can’t be bothered calling each company to learn filing instructions and proof requirements?  Don’t feel like entering repetitive information onto each form and writing a stack of letters? Get personalized and ready to send notifications in just 10 minutes! Simply add the documents listed on each notification and send!

Here’s how to make the change

The most difficult way is to do it all yourself – it requires lots of research, looking for the latest forms and information. Allow 20 minutes per company to do the research, wait on hold then complete any paperwork. If you have 20 companies to notify then allow 7 hours.

Got better things to do? Let us take care of your paperwork. Get ready to send forms, letters and emails! Attach your name change order and send!


Ready to change your name now?