IRS Name Change

After your marriage, divorce or legal name change, the first place to notify of your name change is the SSA. There is no need to notify the IRS of your name change as they pull records from the SSA.

There are a few things to be mindful of in your future dealings with the IRS. When you file your tax return at the end of the year, ensure you use the exact same name that currently appears on your SSA card or you may encounter delays with your refund.

The IRS must be informed of any change in address – download the Change of Address form here. When filing W-4 at the end of the year, clearly indicate your marital status as it may have changed during the year. You should indicate your marital status as of the last day of the year.

How to change names with the SSA

All applicants need to complete and file form ‘SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card’. Most applicants are eligible to start the form online, in which case fewer identification documents are needed. You may instead use the paper form and provide full evidence of identity documents. No matter how you complete the form, you can file either:

  • In person at an SSA acceptance facility. This is recommended as your identification documents will be witnessed and immediately returned to you
  • By post with original identity documents. This is not recommended, as the SSA prefer not to handle sensitive identification documents by mail and you will be without these documents for several weeks.

Your name is updated with the SSA within 3 working days of your form and identification being confirmed. You will either receive a replacement card or official correspondence in your new name. Your SSN stays the same. Hold onto any correspondence in your new name as this can be used as proof of your name change with some companies. Only change names with the DMV and on your passport once your SSA records have been updated. We provide all the necessary forms you’ll need to get your name changed everywhere.

Download SSA name change form

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Need to change names in other places?

If you’re changing names from marriage, divorce or court order, then chances are you need to update all your records, accounts, ID and memberships. Our personalized notification kit provides name change procedures and forms for all state and federal agencies, plus hundreds more companies! It’s ideal if you just can’t be bothered calling your bank, phone company, membership clubs, insurance company and all the rest. In just a few clicks we’ll send you ready to send forms, letters and emails. Just sign and send! Click below to get started.


Ready to change your name now?