PayPal allows name change only in certain situations. If you did not correctly set up your account, you can make small changes to correct your name, such as amending a typing error. If you’ve changed your name from marriage, divorce or by legal name change you will need to submit updated photo ID and proof of the name change. This process is managed online once logged into your PayPal account. It’s best to have scanned copy of photo ID and your name change proof before starting.
- Log into your account.
- Depending on your interface, from the drop-down menu alongside your name or at the top right, click the settings icon ( it looks like a cog) or the ‘account settings’ option.
- Your name is displayed at the top, click the ‘update’ link alongside, then click ‘change name’.
- Next, you’re required to choose your type of name change. There are three options:
– Change your legal name. If you’ve been married, going back to your former name or have legally changed names then choose this option.
– Update your name (eg: use your full name instead of a nickname)
– Make a minor correction (eg: change Elizabeth to Elisabeth)
- You’re taken to an upload screen and explained what documents are acceptable.
– For a change of name, you’ll need to upload photo ID AND your marriage certificate or court order.
– Minor name changes will need an updated photo ID showing the correct spelling and order of your names plus a supporting document. You can make minor character changes on the spot.
See how much time we can save you!
Need to change names anywhere else?
Changing names from marriage, divorce or court order? Chances are you have a whole bunch of organizations to notify. Our personalized kit helps you complete all state and federal forms, plus provides all necessary name change documents for over a thousand organizations, such as insurance, banks and credit cards. Save yourself the hassle of knowing what paperwork to send to what address and what proof to include.