Social Security Name Change

No matter what your reason for changing names, the first step is updating social security. Agencies such as the IRS, DMV and US Passports will only change your name to match what is currently on file with the SSA.

There is no fee to change names with the SSA. Complete form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card. Although you may file by mail, we recommend attending any SSA location in person because you need to show original documents which can be verified and returned on the spot. The SSA prefers not to receive original identification documents by mail.

All applicants should show one primary identification document, which could be a US driver’s license, state-issued non-driver ID card or US passport.  Also take original proof of your name change, such as your marriage certificate or court order. If the SSA does not have proof of citizenship on file then you will need to provide additional documents. Click here for the full list of accepted documents.

Changes made with the SSA are visible to other agencies within 3 working days. You will receive a new social security card, however your social security number does not change.


Get your name change paperwork

Click the button above to get your personalized form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card and all other name change forms. We’ll prepare all your name change paperwork so you can just sign and send! Our kits start from $35, so save yourself hours of mindless searching and waiting on hold.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Ready to change your name now?