Update Your Passport After Marriage

If you’re changing names after marriage it is recommended but not compulsory to have a new US passport issued. If your passport is less than a year old and your name change is also within the past 12 months then you’re in luck – replacements are free. If your wedding or passport is more than 12 months old then you’ll be hit with fees for a new 10 year passport. While it is not essential to update the name in your passport, be aware you may run into problems if you have updated all other records but continue traveling on a passport in your former name, as it could be difficult to prove your identity, so read our tips below first.

Free service

If you were recently both married and issued with a US passport, apply for a name change within 12 months of the issue date for a free replacement. Use form DS-5504, which we can provide as part of our personalized service. Passport fees only apply for expedited service requests. Apply by mail. Return your current passport with your original marriage certificate and other documents as listed on the form. Save the most time with our service – we step you through completing your passport application and provide step by step filing information. You’ll also get the forms for your state DMV, SSA, banks, credit cards, utilities and over 1,000 different organizations. No wasted time on hold!

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!


Replacement passport

If your most recent passport has been issued within the last 15 years you’ll need to apply for a new passport and pay full renewal fees: $130 for a book, $30 for a card. Complete form DS-82 and file by mail. Click the button below to start personalizing your passport name change form. We provide all the forms you need to change names with all the necessary organizations, including SSA, DMV, passport and over one thousand other organizations.


You don’t need to change names in your passport

If you’re taking your spouse’s surname after marriage you are not legally required to update your passport. It is perfectly legal to travel on a passport issued in your prior name, even if you have changed names in most other places. You must always book international flights on the name that currently appears in your passport. If you are abroad using a passport in your former name, but you have credit cards and your drivers license in your married name you may have a difficult time proving your identity. It is therefore recommended you consider updating your passport before booking flights so that you can use your married name, or else travel with your marriage certificate in case you need to prove you are one and the same person.

There is no credit given for the time remaining in your passport.  You may therefore choose to want to wait until you are planning on using your passport again in the future. Just allow enough time for your passport to be reissued before booking flights.

Need to change names with other companies?

If you’ve recently married chances are you need to update anywhere from 10 to 40 or so different organizations. Our personalized name change notification kits provide comprehensive filing instructions for all your companies! Choose who you need to notify from our easy-to-navigate database of over one thousand organizations. We’ll tell you exactly what each company needs, saving you hours on hold! If you to send in any letters, emails or forms we create them in your name. Just attach your marriage certificate and send!


Ready to change your name now?