Social Security Marriage Name Change

If you’ve been married and want to change names the first step should be updating your Social Security card. Apply for a card in your new name by completing the SSA name change form online or on paper. Attend an SSA location to show original proof documents, including your marriage certificate, along with either your existing passport or driver’s license. You will be prompted as to the exact proof documents needed as you complete the online form, or else show all categories of proof if using the paper form. 

Most Social Security cardholders would have already proved US citizenship or immigration status. If you haven’t done this or if your citizenship details are not on file, then you will need to show a US birth certificate, naturalization or citizenship certificate before your name change will be allowed. If you are not a citizen you can show your foreign passport and proof of immigration status, such as your green card or visa.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

When applying for a marriage name change with the SSA you must show original documents or copies that have been certified by the agency that issued them. Photocopies are not acceptable. You also need to complete and file an ‘application for a social security card’ (form SS5). Get this form in any of our name change kits.

File form SS5 and supporting documents either in person or by mail. Most applicants prefer to apply in person as their identification documents can be verified and returned on the spot. Mailed applications require original documents to be enclosed, so we recommend a traceable delivery method. Documents will be returned to you. Processing times by mail vary considerably between locations, so check ahead or visit an SSA location in person if you need your documents returned quickly. Wait until you receive confirmation that the SSA has processed your name change before updating any other government records, such as your passport and driver’s license. A new Social Security card will be posted to the address on your SS5 form.

Ready to start changing names now?

No matter how many places you need to notify, Easy Name Change can help. Simply select which organizations to notify and we’ll send you personalized paperwork and all the necessary information. Just sign and send!


Ready to change your name now?