BC Divorce and Separation Name Change

BC Divorce and Separation Name Change

BC Divorce and Separation Name Change

No matter what your personal situation, any person who changed names after marriage retains the right to be known by their prior name. A married name is an assumed name. You can go back to your prior name by just showing your marriage certificate together with your birth certificate. It often helps to provide a bit more information, as we explain below.

If you have a birth certificate or a citizenship certificate in your married name then you can't go back to your former name followingh the process below - you'll need to file for a legal name change


BC divorce name change

If you’re already divorced it’s easiest to show your court issued divorce order – all companies understand this request. If your divorce order does not list both your married and former names, you will also need to show your birth certificate (or if born abroad, your citizenship certificate in your prior name) as this proves your prior name. Show these documents together to change names. Click the button below to get your name change paperwork, just add your certificates to our notifications and send.


Reverting to prior name in BC

If you’re not divorced some companies can be a bit clueless about the name change process. While you should only need to present a Vital Statistics marriage certificate and your birth certificate (or if born abroad, citizenship certificate in your former name). More proof of your prior name makes your name change request less likely to be rejected or queried.

You can start using your prior name at any time, regardless of your marital status. To get your records and accounts changed, just click the button below and select all the organisations you need to notify. We'll send all the paperwork you need, then just add your certificates where instructed and send.

Ready to start changing names?

There’s no official process or registration, simply start using your prior name now.  All you need to do is get your records and identification changed into your new name, and it's best to change all your records over at the same time.

Click below to get all the necessary name change paperwork. We'll send you all the necessary forms and name change notifications. Just add your proof documents, sign and send. Where your nam change can’t be done by post, email, fax or form, we’ll let you know exactly what to do so there’s no guess work.


No matter if your divorced, separated or just want to go back to your former name, we'll explain the process and provide all the paperwork so you can reclaim your former name in just 10 minutes.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee