How To Change Names After Divorce or Separation

What proof do I need?

If you took your spouse’s surname after marriage, it’s simple to revert to your former name no matter what your personal situation. You don’t need to be divorced!  Simply show your marriage certificate together with either your birth or citizenship certificate (which needs to be in your former name). If you are divorced and both names are listed on the divorce order then this is the only proof needed.

If your birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate is in your married name you are unable to go back to your former name. You should instead file for a legal name change with Vital Statistics in the province where you reside.

Canadian organizations have a range of procedures and may ask for extra proof. Most companies allow you to send in a letter, email or form. You will also need to log into some accounts to update your profile or upload proof, and also visit a few places in person (driver’s licence and larger banks).

How do I update my records?

Once you’ve made the decision to go back to your former name it’s up to you to notify all the necessary organizations. No records are linked, so you’ll need to approach each authority and organization separately. Each company has a different process, so you’ll need to visit some places in person with the original proof documents and identification. Some companies require you to log into your account to make the change online. Confirming the process for each company takes hours! Easy Name Change helps by providing researched name change procedures from over 750 Canadian organizations, together with personalized and ready to send forms, letters and emails.

Prefer to do it yourself? Allow 20 minutes per company to research the process and complete any paperwork. If you have 25 companies this takes over 8 hours!


All Easy Name Change kits come with a 60 day money back guarantee. If you are not happy for any reason simply contact us for a full refund!

When should I change names?

There is no time constraint on changing names. You may revert to your prior name while you are still married, immediately after divorcing or many years later. There is no official ‘registration’ of your chosen name, simply start using it!

Whenever you decide to change names, we recommend updating all your accounts, identification and memberships at the same time so you don’t have problems proving your identity.

Ready to change your name now?