Ordering Your BC Marriage Certificate

An original marriage certificate is essential when changing names. It’s the only proof you need of your new name. Show your original certificate when applying for an updated photo ID and when changing names on your BC MSP and bank account. Religious certificates and commemorative certificates are not always accepted by government agencies. Once your marriage has been solemnized, the person conducting the ceremony will file your completed marriage license with the state. Vital Statistics can take up to 6 weeks to register marriages. Once registered, a certificate will be automatically sent to the address used when filing for the wedding licence.

Either party to the marriage can order additional copies of their marriage certificate at any time directly from the Office of Vital Statistics. Apply online via the BC Vital Statistics website or by mail using the ‘Application for a Marriage Certificate’ form, accessible via the link below. Marriage certificate fees are payable directly to BC Vital Stats and payment information is on the last page of the form.


Ready to start changing names?

Make sure the name you are taking is one of the married names allowed in BC. Change names on your BC MSP first. Once this has been updated you can then change names on your BC driver’s licence or BC Services card. ICBC will match the name on your driver’s licence with what is on file with MSP.

There is no automatic updating of your name, so you need to apply directly to every organization where you hold an account, membership or record. You will be required to send off a range of forms, letters and emails and may need to send proof of your name change; a photocopy or certified copy of your marriage certificate or updated photo ID. Get ready to send forms, letters and emails from over 750 Canadian organizations, complete with filing instructions. It only takes 10 minutes!


Want to learn a bit more?

Check out the married name change trends in BC for more info!

Ready to change your name now?