Changing Names in Your Passport

Changing Names in Your Passport

Changing Names in Your Passport

Marriage or reverting to prior name in passport

As you're entitled to be known by either your married or prior name at any time regardless of your marital status, you can choose to update your passport now or wait until it expires. Passports Canada recommends changing names in your passport at the same time as your other documents. You will be less likely to have issues or delays at border crossings or when proving your identity.

No credit is given for time remaining in your current passports. If you want to update the name in your passport, follow the process explained below.

Legal name change in passport

Anyone legally changing names must apply for an updated passport immediately. There is no credit given for unused time remaining in your current passport. To apply for a replacement passport, follow the process below.

How to change names in your passport

Anyone changing names should complete the adult application form - you are unable to use the renewal process. You can complete the application online on the Passport Canada website, or download the form via the link below.

A 5 year passport costs $120. A 10 year passport costs $160. Read the application form in detail for information about photos, guarantor, fees and more.



Changing your name in other places

Click the button below to access comprehensive name change procedures for over 600 Canadian organizations. We'll also send any special name change forms, letters and faxes required by your nominated companies.


You don't have to change names in your passport after marriage or divorce, but it's recommended. Download the application form here.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee