Canadian Revenue Agency Name Change

The Canadian Revenue Agency needs to be told as soon as you change your name and also if your domestic situation has changed (such as marriage, divorce or common law partnership).

Only one name has changed

If only your first name OR your last name has changed, you can change names over the phone or by letter. Call 1-800-959-8281. Be ready with the following information:

  • Social Insurance Number (your number stays the same when changing names)
  • Full name and date of birth
  • Complete address on file
  • Your personal account open, or an assessed return, a notice of assessment, reassessment of another tax document

You may instead send the letter included in your Easy Name Change kit. We also provide the CRA Marital Status Change form, which should be sent no later than the calendar month following your marriage. If you are separated only send the form once you have been separated for at least 90 days.


Changes to first AND last name

If both your names have changed, you should send a letter. You can access the letter via the link above.

Need to notify other companies of your name change?

If you’ve changed names, you also need to update your driver’s licence, provincial health care card, passport and social insurance card. There’s also a range of other companies to notify, such as gas, power, insurance and more. Get your ready to send name change paperwork in minutes.


Ready to change your name now?