Social Insurance Number Name Change

It is now easier than ever to update your existing SIN: apply online, mail in the form or apply in person at a Service Canada location.

Just because your name is updated on your SIN does not mean that your driver’s licence, health card, CRA, banks, or any other record changes. You must contact each organization directly to learn their process, request the form or else send in a letter or email. Easy Name Change can process all your name change paperwork from over 750 organizations in just 10 minutes! Click here to get started.


This is the easiest way to update your name with SIN. You won’t need to mail in any original documents. Complete the SIN name change form online at the Canadian government website. Choose ‘Social Insurance Number’ from our database and we’ll provide the link and full instructions. Be ready with digital copies of all the proof documents listed below. Once successful you will be mailed confirmation within 10 working days. Keep this as proof of your name being changed.


While in-person name changes are still allowed, they are not encouraged. Check online to see the opening hours of your Service Canada office. Use the online Service Request Form and scroll to the bottom and choose ‘book an appointment. Be sure to take the original proof documents listed below with you.

By mail

Call Service Canada or search online for the form. Complete the form and mail it to Service Canada with original documents verifying your identity and proof of name change with your application. We strongly recommend using a traceable mail method and your documents will be returned in the same manner. You may be without your original documents for a month or longer.

What proof do I need?

You need to provide the same proof documents as if you are applying for a SIN for the first time. Refer to the form for the full list of acceptable documents. Provide:

  • One primary document; Canadian birth or citizenship certificate.
  • One secondary document; a valid, original government-issued document that contains both your legal name and your date of birth (passport, provincial driver’s licence or ID card.)
  • Proof of address; A letter or document from any government authority, financial or educational institution
  • A supporting document that verifies your name change; your wedding certificate, legal name change certificate or both divorce decree and marriage certificate.

Get the Social Insurance name change form as part of your kit. Simply select all the organizations where you need to update your name and receive ready to send letters, forms and emails. Simply attach the proof listed, sign and send! Save hours calling around, waiting on hold and figuring out what to send where. We have fully researched name change procedures and ready to send name change paperwork for over 750 Canadian companies.

If your name change has been mostly completed and now you only need to change names with Social Insurance, then get the name change form directly from the Service Canada website. If you need to make a claim through Service Canada and have a different name recorded you can still go ahead and register your claim using the name currently on file with Service Canada. You may be asked to send through documents to support your identity and name change.


Ready to change your name now?