Divorce Name Change - Passport

Everything you need to change names, from $20

State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 listings
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee

Passports less than one year old

Apply for a replacement passport in your new name, free of charge. File form DS-5504 by mail. You must have requested your former name to be restored as part of your divorce proceedings as you need to present a divorce order. Access to form DS-5504 and further information and forms to change names with government agencies is included in all our kits.

Passports issued more than 12 months ago

Full replacement fees of $110 for a passport and/or $30 for a passport card are payable. File form DS-82 by mail. You must have a court ordered name change to use this form. Access to form DS-82, other government forms and comprehensive name change information is included any of our name change kits.

Don't have a court ordered name change?

If you can't document your name change with a court order you can still change the name in your passport. You need to present your divorce decree along with other documents that prove your name change in person at any acceptance facility or passport office. The full list of accepted documents is listed on form DS-11, included in our kit.

If changing names without a court ordered name change, we recommend prioritizing a replacement passport. Make sure you make a number of photocopies of your old passport and have them certified as true copies when you present in person to a passport acceptance facility to apply for a name change. Many organizations will only accept your divorce decree as evidence of name change if you can also show government photo ID under both your old and new names.

When to change names on your passport

You don't need to have your passport updated immediately after your divorce order is granted. You may wait until your current passport expires so that you make use of all remaining time on your existing passport. Passports can take up to six weeks to be processed, occasionally longer in the lead-up to major travel dates. Be sure you have no pending travel arrangements under your prior name before applying for a divorce name change in your passport.

If you're changing names without a court order (ie: using your divorce decree with other documents) you may be best to prioritize your passport as it can be used as evidence of your name change with other organizations.

Ready to start changing names now?

On average, divorcees find they need to contact around 16 organizations to have all their identification, accounts and memberships updated. The SSA, driver’s licenses and your passport should be prioritized and Easy Name Change can provide all the forms and information for these agencies as pat of our basic kit.

Updating banks, credit cards, phone accounts and more?

It's free to browse our company database and see which organizations we cover. Chances are we'll have most companies you need to contact, and perhaps a few more you hadn't thought about. Save yourself around 6 hours of waiting on hold and trawling for forms and information with our personalized kits.