Legal name change

Already filed your name change petition? Save weeks getting your records updated with our ready to send forms!

How to change names legally, Georgia

If your name change is not from marriage or divorce, then a court order is the only legal way to change your name. A private company cannot issue a legal name change order, although they may help you prepare the court documents for a fee. If you have a reasonable understanding of the court process you could manage your own application.

Easy Name Change helps get your records updated once your name has been changed. Save 8 hours of boring research and completing tedious forms with our ready-to-send name change notifications. In most cases, you can just attach your court order and send!

Each county in Georgia sets its own policies, forms and fees for a legal name change, so get in contact with your Superior Court for localized information. Know that Easy Name Change is here to help you update your records once you have your legal name change order.

Complete the petition to change names and file it with your local Superior Court. You need to include a valid reason for wanting a name change. Once the petition is filed and the filing fee paid, the petitioner has 7 days to publish their notice of name change in an approved newspaper. The notice should appear weekly for 4 weeks. Once the publishing is complete, the petitioner should return to the court to be given a hearing date.

Attend the hearing and if successful the judge will provide a court order approving the name change. You can order certified copies of the order from the court clerk, often on the same day. Attach your court order to the Easy Name Change notifications to get your records updated.

Professional representation can significantly increase the cost of your name change. Many individuals with a working understanding of the law find they can represent themselves. If you are not comfortable self-representing or have an unusual situation you are encouraged to speak with Atlanta Legal Aid Society at 404-524-5811 or Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers. Foundation at 404-521-0790.

A number of documents are required to be completed as part of your name change process. The exact documents can vary between counties so it is best to contact your local superior court directly to get a packet of forms. Some courts may charge a nominal fee.

  • Start by completing the Petition to Change Name, ensuring you leave the case number field blank.
  • Complete the verification form to go with your petition and sign before a notary.
  • Complete the Notice Of Petition to Change Name form.

Georgia law requires petitioners to publish their name change intent in a local paper weekly for four weeks. The publication must include details of your name change and the hearing. When filing for a name change you will be advised of the information to publish and the newspaper will let you know the format.

The court will advise what proof you should return to the court, usually a Publisher’s Affidavit, which may be sent to the petitioner or direct to the court. After the notice has run for 4 weeks and the court receives no objections to your published name change, you can return to the court to get a date for your hearing.

Attend your hearing, taking copies of the documents you have filed, the Publisher’s Affidavit and your current photo ID. The judge will make a ruling and if successful you a final decree will be issued on the spot. You can order certified copies of your order from the clerk, which attracts a small fee.

Within 10 days of your name change being approved, file form SS5-Application for a Social Security Card, included in your Easy Name Change kit. Allow 3 days from the SSA receiving your form until your records. Next, update your Georgia state ID card with the DMV, this should be done within 60 days of your name change.

There may be around 15-20 organizations you should contact to get your accounts and records updated. This includes banks, credit cards, utilities, communications, loyalty clubs and more. Save yourself a day’s work in calling each company directly to learn the process with an Easy Name Change kit. We provide ready to send paperwork for hundreds of organizations so you don’t need to waste hours on hold. We also provide the detailed process to have your name changed with each selected organization, so if your name change can’t be notified in writing we’ll let you know exactly what to do. No guesswork, no wasted time.

If your birth was recorded in Georgia, you may also request Georgia Vital Statistics to update your birth record for a nominal fee. Whenever you are asked for evidence of your name you can show your birth record, listing both your birth and legal names.  If born interstate, contact your state Vital Statistics to learn if you can update your birth certificate. Many states offer this service for a fee.

You can instead show the court order approving your name as evidence of your name change, regardless if you get your birth certificate changed or not.

Have you got the time to contact all the different organizations where you hold and account, membership or identification yourself? You’ll need to allow 20 minutes per company to get in contact, learn the proces and complete any required paperwork.

Be smart and save yourself the hassle with an Easy Name Change kit. It’s only $35 and has all the name change forms needed by your companies.

Still want to do it yourself? Start by creating your unique, personalized checklist! It lists all the places you need to get in contact with and you can use it to track your progress. Start here.


Order Your Kit

Our kit suits all name change reasons!
Save 8 hours with our ready to send forms


$ 79
  • Ready to send forms & letters
  • Ready to forward emails
  • Personalized checklist & guide
  • Instant Download
  • Money back guarantee
  • Priority printed and posted to your door
  • Handy folder & all envelopes
  • 3 stamped envelopes


$ 39
  • Ready to send forms & letters
  • Ready to forward emails
  • Personalized checklist & guide
  • Instant download
  • Money back guarantee
  • Priority printed and posted to your door
  • Handy folder & all envelopes
  • 3 stamped envelopes

Purchase a gift card


Legal Name Change

You can be known by any name, but to get identification and records changed you need a court order. Fees and turnaround times vary significantly between states. Apply for your court order, then attach to our notifications and send.

Learn how to legally change names

Legal name change petitions should be filed with your local court house. Turnaround times vary significantly by county and filing fees are set by your state. Companies generally do not charge to update your name unless a new credential needs to be reissued.

Find out how much it costs to legally change names

If you’re legally entitled to reside in the USA you can change your name legally. There can be significant costs with your petition and immigration filings. If you are planning on becoming a US citizen it may be cheaper and faster to wait.

Can I legally change names if I am not a US citizen?

This process is managed by your county court. We provide general information to get started on your child’s name change, but it’s always best to contact your local court directly.

How do I legally change a child’s name?

Once you have a court document proving your new name it’s then your responsibility to get your records updated. No records are linked, so you need to contact each organization directly and follow a separate process.

How do I update my accounts after legally changing names?

If you’ve decided to file a legal name change application with the court we’ve got some information to help you along the way.

Legal name change resources and state information

You’ve got your court order. Now it’s time to notify each company that you have a new name! Save money with our FREE checklist.

FREE interactive legal name change checklist