Filing Name Change with Companies

Ready to change names?

If you’ve got a court order you must update your records as soon as possible! Choose all necessary state and federal agencies, plus banks, insurance, utilities and hundreds more! Click below to get started.


Which name is my legal name?

Even if you have been using a different name for your whole life, your license, passport and bank accounts must be under your legal name, which is the name listed on your US birth, citizenship or naturalization certificate (unless you have been married or applied for a legal name change.) If you want to use a name other than your legal name, then you need to show a court order proving your entitlement to be known by a different name. See our section on how to change names for more information.

What records should I update?

Once you have a court order in your new name you must stop using your prior name. No matter what records you have, always start by updating your name with the Social Security Administration and wait at least 3 days from when your identification documents have been checked by the SSA before updating any other records. Most customers choose to update bank accounts next. Finally, move on to all other records, like Passport, licenses and other government identification, phone bills, power bills, insurance policies and the rest. There’s probably a whole bunch of other companies you haven’t thought about yet, like travel programs, shopping rewards, online accounts, alumni records and more.

Once your name change is approved by the court it is best to set aside some time to ensure your name is changed everywhere within a few weeks. You’ll run into problems where your name is not consistently recorded everywhere and need to prove your identity. Getting identification, memberships and accounts updated can take months! An Easy Name Change kit can cut out the paperwork, research and waiting on hold. Get personalized name change notifications completed along with detailed filing instructions in just 10 minutes.

What proof do I need to get my accounts updated?

Each organization sets its own name change process and determines what proof documents are necessary. Banks and financial organizations are quite stringent and usually need to sight your original name change order and updated photo ID. They may also require you to attend in person so you can sign in the presence of their staff. Companies such as communications or insurance providers may require just a photocopy of your court order. Where a company needs definitive proof of your name change but doesn’t want the responsibility of handling your original court order via the mail they may ask for a notarized copy.

Update your name with federal and state agencies first

Apply for a new Social Security card first. Only after the SSA is updated can you change names with the DMV and on your passport. You may have other considerations, such as armed forces personnel, any special licenses or immigration. Receive the necessary government agency name change forms and procedures with any of our kits and save yourself hours of hassle.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Update all other accounts and memberships

Consider all the places where you hold an account or membership. Each one will need to be informed of your legal name change. Save yourself the headache of contacting each company directly. Get an Easy Name Change personalized kit. We provide ready-to-send forms, letters and emails in your name. Just attach your proof of name change and send! Know exactly what each company requires, including any proof documents, so you don’t waste time figuring it all out.



Ready to change your name now?