Reverting to Maiden Name

Reverting to Maiden Name

Reverting to Maiden Name

Regardless if you are changing your name from either divorce or separation, the process is very much the same.

Name Change from divorce

Your divorce is approved by the court and you are issued with a Divorce Order. All organisations accept this as evidence of your prior name. If you need a replacement Divorce Order you can obtain one from the Family Law Courts.

Reverting to maiden name

When you took your spouse's name after marriage chances are you didn't legally change your name. Most likely you showed your marriage certificate as evidence of your new name.  This means you assumed your spouse's name, and you are still entitled to be known by your prior name regardless of your marital status.

What documents do you need?

All organisations accept a divorce certificate and will adjust your records accordingly. 

If your divorce is not yet finalised you are still entitled to be known by your prior name, providing you didn't lodge a legal name change application after marriage (this is usually only done when getting married overseas). You only need to prove the link between your married and prior name. Where your history of names is straight foward you can simply show your BDM marriage certificate and BDM birth certificate as this proves the link between your maiden and married names.

Where you have been known by multiple names you must show the link between all these names. Show documents from any BDM office where it shows a clear link between all your names. This may be your birth certificate and 2 marriage certificates. If you have legally changed names you are unable to assume use of a name you held prior to that change. In such a circumstance you may need to consider a new legal name change.

Getting your documents

Organisations, particularly financial institutions and government agencies, need to see documents from BDM, or the case of divorce, a Divorce Order issued by the court.  If you don't have your marriage or birth certificate you can download the application form as part of your Easy Name Change kit. 

The Easy Name Change guide, free with all Name Change kits, provides more information on how to get your certificate.


If you're reverting to a prior name without being divorced, get your passport and drivers licence changed into your prior name first. Use this as proof of your changed name with other companies.

In the unlikely event any organisations refuse your name change you can close and reopen your account, or do business elsewhere.

How do I notify organisations of my new name?

Once you've made the decision to revert to a prior name you need to notify all organisations where you hold an account, membership or identification.

Easy Name Change takes the hassle out of doing all the research and writing name change letters, emails and faxes for each organisation.  Our personalised name change kits create all your name change notifications in your name and with all your name change information.  We even provide you with any special name change forms your organisations may have.  In most cases all you need to do is add supporting documents where indicated, sign and send.

Changing your Name Due to Divorce or Separation?  Or just want your old name back? Regardless of your reason, the process is very much the same. You probably already have the documents needed to reclaim your former name!

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save hours, or your money back!
  • BDM Certificates
  • Driver License
  • ATO
  • Over 50 listings!
And More!
  • 13 company categories
  • Ready to send letters
  • Company name change forms
  • Just sign & send!