Information Hub

Hard to find information for your name change clearly laid out. Now you can get on with updating your records! 

Name Change Information Hub

Do you have a complex history of name changes? Maybe you were born overseas or live between 2 countries? Not sure if you have the right proof documents? Use our service to get your name change sorted as fast as possible and reduce the risk of complications! On a budget? Our free name change checklist will get you started!

Check our dedicated sections for information specific to marriage, reverting to former name and legal name change!

The easy way:

Use our name change notification kit to get personalised and ready to send name change notifications for your companies. In many cases, you can just sign and send! There’s also going to be places where you need to log in to your account, visit a branch or call. Our company checklist explains each company’s process so you don’t waste time researching.

The only document you need to get started is your proof of name change, which must be issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages.



The hard way:

Yep. More lists. Start by doing an audit of all the places you may need to notify. This could be anywhere from 8 to over 50. Contact each one or research online to get their name change procedure. You may need to request a form.

Note all the requirements in your checklist – post and email addresses, proof documents, links to forms, important URLs, office opening hours and the steps to follow.

Next, get busy writing letters and emails, completing forms and hammering the photocopier. Allow 20 minutes per company. If you have 25 companies then that’s 8 hours you could have saved with an Easy Name Change kit.

No matter which way you go, larger banks and state driver’s licenses must be visited in person. 

Customers need to arrange their proof of name change before they can use our kit.

If you’re married, then you probably already have your marriage certificate. There’s no further forms or lodgements to make that name official! 

If you are going back to your former name after marriage then you may already have your BDM issued birth and marriage certificates, so there’s no further steps to start using your old name!

If you’re legally changing names you may already have your amended birth or legal name change certificate. If not we explain how to order it.

Once you have proof of your new name you can start using it immediately, but it’s time-consuming to get all your accounts and records updated.

For most customers, there is no special order to which companies should be updated first. Only a very small number of companies in our database need to see updated photo ID before they will update your account. Check the proof attachment notes on each form, letter and email so you know if you have any companies that need your driver’s license to be updated first.

Although not essential, it can be handy to update photo ID and credit cards first. Then when you log into accounts like Netflix to update your profile name, you can also update your payment details as credit card numbers will change when a card is issued in your new name.

Either party to the marriage can change names. Simply present your official marriage certificate when asked for proof of your new name. You have 2 options available: 

  • Drop their current surname and use spouse’s surname
  • Add spouse’s surname to existing surname. Names can appear in either order.

If you want to go back to the surname you had before marriage it’s super simple and you can start using your former name straight away! You will need to show your official Australian marriage certificate plus one other proof document. This can be your birth certificate, citizenship certificate or divorce decree. This only allows you to take your birth name or any former married name.

A legal name change is needed for any other situation. Apply to Births, Deaths and Marriages. This allows you to make any minor changes, like spelling, dropping a name or switching the order. It’s the same process and fee if you want to change all of your names. Names should be in the public interest and not to deceive or defraud anyone.

Many companies do not send a confirmation after changing your name, so remember to check that your new name is reflected correctly in your online profile or on any correspondence you receive in the future. Although most companies update your name within a few days of receiving your request, some may take longer. The ATO and Medicare take 4 to 6 weeks.


Order your kit


$ 169
  • Everything in the print & post kit, plus:
  • Consultation call
  • Identification J.P. certified
  • Registered mail for identification
  • Paperwork checked & lodged
  • Phone support


$ 79
  • Everything in the print at home kit, plus:
  • Documents printed and mailed to you
  • Matching envelopes
  • 3 x stamps
  • Handy folder


$ 39
  • Ready to send forms & letters
  • Ready to forward emails
  • Personalised checklist & guide
  • Easy Name Change Guide
  • Email support
  • Money back guarantee

Purchase a gift card


Frequently Asked Questions

While companies do not charge for updating your name in their system, there can be a fee to have a certificate or card reissued, like your driver’s licence or professional credential.  Some customers already have their proof of name change where others may need to spend hundreds to apply.

Learn the various costs to change your name

There are 2 stages in changing names. Get the official document that proves your new name. If you don’t have this already then allow extra time to apply. Next, you need to create and send notifications. We explain all the elements in the timeline and the risks to be aware of.

Read how long does it take to change names

You’ve decided on your new name and have received proof from Births, Deaths and Marriages. So what happens next? How do you get all your records, accounts, memberships and identification changed over?

Read how to notify companies of your new name

Changing names is a major step in your identity footprint, so it’s essential to provide enough identity documents to satisfy each organisation. However every company has a different process and can dictate what proof to provide. It takes hours to call around and figure it out, so we step it out for you. 

Read more about proving your identity

You may be residing overseas but keen to change names in Australia. Foreign name change documents are not usually accepted, so you may need to apply for a certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages. You will also need to update your name with various Australian organisations.

Read Can I change names while residing abroad?

You may be an Australian citizen living abroad, or be a citizen of another country residing in Australia. Either way, chances are you have records and accounts to update in both countries. How do you go about it?

Read how to change names when living between 2 countries.

Born or married in NZ, living in Australia and a bit stuck on which documents will be accepted? If you have records in both countries you may need to apply for official proof in each country. 

Read more about Name Change for New Zealanders

If you have records in a name that’s not on your birth certificate or other source identity documents you may not need a legal name change.  Perhaps the change is minor or your accounts are incorrectly named. 

Read about mismatched names and statutory declarations

Getting certified copies. It’s the most complained part about changing names. Companies ask for a certified copy when they need to ensure the authenticity of your document but don’t want to receive the original by mail.

Read What are Certified Copies of Certificates?

Medicare allows name change in a number of ways: call, send an email or send a letter. You’ll need to provide proof of your name change. If you want to add or remove names from your Medicare card it’s best to mail the form in with a name change request letter.

Read more about changing names with Medicare

No matter what state you live in, licences must be updated in person. Always take original proof documents. We provide the form if your state has one. For most customers, it does not matter what order your identification is updated in so driver’s licence can usually be done at any stage.

Read how to change names on your driver’s licence

If your change of name can be supported with proof that your relationship status has also changed then it’s free to get a new passport issued! If you are legally changing names you may not have to pay full fees for a new passport.

Read more about Australian passport name change

Change names with the ATO by mailing in the form, over the phone or online. If you don’t get around to your name change now you may get it changed when you lodge your next tax return.

Read how to change names with the Australian Taxation Office

If you have a Centrelink CRN, change names now, even if you’re not drawing benefits. A mismatched name can cause problems down the track.

Learn How to Change Names With Centrelink

myGov does not need a separate notification that your name is changed, as the updated name will be pulled through from a linked module, but there is a requirement to get all modules updated.

Learn how myGov name change works

One of the easiest places to get your name changed! Notify the AEC of your new name online or by mail. If you don’t want your name change to be on the public register you may apply to be a silent elector.

Read how to change names with the AEC

Our service covers all Australian state and territories. Get more details on your state’s process and where to apply!

Get the guide for your state

Need to change names and not sure where to start or how our service works? 

Read more about How Easy Name Change Helps.

Besides being the best name change service available on the planet, we’ve been vetted by over 10 banks, have multiple cyber security credentials and offer a money back guarantee. Over 1 million people helped and still counting!

Why use us?

All our kits contain the same time-saving forms! Choose your kit based on how much time you want to save and if you have a printer, stamps and envelopes.

What’s the difference between our kits?

Your name change may be complete, then a few years later you’re applying for your child’s passport and it’s no longer your name on their birth certificate.

How to get a Child’s Passport When a Parent Changes Names