What are Certified Copies of certificates?

Obtaining certified copies of your marriage certificate, legal name change certificate, birth certificate or photo ID is a simple process, but it can be difficult to get time off work. Most financial institutions require certified copies of your identification documents where they don’t want the responsibility of handling the originals by mail. Take about 5 to 10 photocopies, along with the original counterparts to one of the professionals listed below. They compare the original and copy before certifying it as a true copy.

Many financial institutions also require certified photo ID. Unless told otherwise, it doesn’t matter what name it is in because your proof of name change document will link the two names. It’s a good idea to get 2 or 3 certified copies of government-issued photo ID at the same time.

The authorised person will sign the photocopy and write ‘this is a true copy of the original’. They add their name, date and professional organisation. Police stations and post offices can be most useful at signing multiple copies as they will often have a stamp with all their details and then they can just add their signature.

Don’t have time to get certified copies?

We know getting certified copies can be the most difficult part of your name change. Many customers can’t get to a certifying professional during business hours, so we launched our J.P. certified kit to help. We print and mail all notifications to you with a personalised instruction sheet. Use the prepaid registered post envelope provided for the secure delivery of your original identification and signed notifications. We check your forms are complete, attach all necessary certified copies or photocopies and send! Your original documents are returned by registered mail the following day along with 3 J.P. certified copies .

Who can certify a copy?

  • Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for taking Affidavits and Declarations, a Notary Public
  • Magistrate, CEO of a Commonwealth court, Clerk of the court, Judge of a court, the Master of a court, Registrar or Deputy Registrar of a court
  • Australian diplomatic or consular officer
  • Officer or warrant officer of the Australian Defence Force (with 5 years continuous service)
  • A chiropractor, dentist, medical practitioner, nurse, pharmacist, veterinary surgeon
  • Sheriff or sheriff’s officer, a legal practitioner, patent attorney, bailiff, police officer
  • Manager of Australia Postal Corporation or permanent employee (with more than 5 years continuous service)
  • A bank officer, credit union or building society officer (with more than 5 years continuous service)
  • Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants, Australian Society of Certificated Practising Accountants or National Institute of Accountants; Institute of Corporate Managers, Secretaries and Administrators; or Institute of Engineers (not students members)
  • Member of Parliament (Commonwealth or State)
  • Executive manager or permanent employee of a Commonwealth or state department or authority (more than 5 years continuous service)
  • Minister of religion
  • Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school of tertiary education institution (more than 5 years continuous service)

Ready to change your name now?