What Are My Married Name Options?
Either spouse has the same options when it comes to name after the wedding. You can take any one of the options below and as a married couple you can have different surnames. Any of these changes can be taken with only your marriage certificate as evidence of your new name.
- You can change your surname to your spouse's. The same options are available to the other spouse. While most brides traditionally take their husband's name, it is not a legal requirement. However in our recent survey we learnt about 80% of brides still choose to take their husbands name.
- You can choose to take a joint surname which is a combination of both your surnames. For instance if Jane Citizen married John Smith you can take the surname Citizen-Smith or Smith-Citizen. It's your choice whether to use a hyphen or space between the surnames and which order the names should appear in. You do not both have to have the same surname, for instance a couple can be Jane Citizen-Smith and John Smith.
- You can use a combination of your married and birth name. Professionally you may want to retain your birth name, especially if you have developed a reputation in your industry. Personally you may choose to update your passport, drivers license and various accounts to your spouse's surname.
- You can leave your name as is and take no action.
Want an entirely different name?
A couple could change their surname name to a different name entirely, but if it is not one of the above options then they would need to go through a legal name change process via the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM). If a couple decide they both want a new name, it is easiest for one spouse to legally change their surname before applying for a wedding licence, then after the wedding the other spouse can use the Wedding Certificate to take the other's surname.
Ready to start changing names?
Get your name change paperwork in just 10 minutes! It doesn't matter if your wedding is still a month or two away, or maybe you've already been married for years. We provide ready to send forms, letters and emails. Just attach a copy of your marriage certificate, sign and send!
Considering Changing Names?
- BDM Certificates
- Driver License
- Over 50 listings!
- 13 company categories
- Ready to send letters
- Company name change forms
- Just sign & send!