Changing Names in Queensland

Changing names in Queensland? You’ll need a certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages to get started. This could be a Queensland BDM marriage certificate, which can be used to add or remove your spouse’s surname. If you’re legally changing names and were born in Queensland you’ll need to apply for an amended birth certificate from BDM. You can also apply to Queensland BDM for a legal name change if you were born overseas.

It’s recommended you update your Queensland driver’s licence first. Attend any Queensland Department of Transport licence issuing centre with your original BDM certificate and current licence. A replacement licence in your new name will be posted to you at no charge. You can also attend any larger banks in person with the original BDM certificate and any bank plastic cards. Credit cards will be reissued in your new name and the number will change, so best to get that done before updating subscriptions like Netflix as you can change your name and payment method at the same time.

Expect another 20 or so places that need to be notified and each has a different process. It takes hours to research all the procedures, write letters, emails and complete forms for all these companies! Get personalised and ready to send name change forms for Queensland companies like Suncorp, RACQ, and the Qld AEC as well as national organisations like QBE Insurance and AMP.

Still looking for information? Click the links in the header to find out more about changing names. If you’re ready to start changing names, just click the ‘Get Started’ button below.


Ready to change your name now?