Changing names in Victoria?

If you live in Victoria and need to change names we can help. We provide loads of hard-to-find information for marriage, divorce, reverting to your prior name and legal name change. You can start changing names straight away if you have your marriage or legal name change certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM). If you don’t get have this certificate you can order online from the Victorian BDM website. Most applicants won’t need to mail in certified copies of any proof documents with the process usually managed entirely online.

Got your official BDM certificate? Then start using your new name straight away with no further steps! Your accounts and identification do not automatically update, so you’ll need to reach out to each organisation separately to request your name be changed. It can be time-consuming because each company sets its own process and you’ll need to send in a range of forms, letters and emails together with photocopies or certified copies of your marriage certificate, and possibly your driver’s licence too.

Save yourself a monster headache and over 8 hours of paperwork pain. Get ready to send forms, letters and emails for local organisations such as Bendigo Bank, RACV and Linkt, as well as national organisations like Medicare and GIO. Not every company allows name change in writing, so read the company checklist for instructions on where to visit in person (VicRoads, most larger banks), where to log in to your account and upload proof (PayPal) and which companies you need to call. No unnecessary research or time wasted on hold!

We’ve helped over 1 million people around the world change names. If you’re ready to start changing names now just click the button below to get started.


Ready to change your name now?